How do John Deere's hold up?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Vikings, Mar 3, 2007.

1. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

Are they as good as Exmark and Toro commercial?

I'm wondering about there Walk Behinds and their Quik-Trak Mowers.

2. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I have good luck with their commercial mowers but would not touch one of the ez tracs at lowes (or anything else they had)! For what you pay for one (they are 2999 to 3999) you can buy a good used under 500 hours commercial ztr.

3. Mow"N"Bud

Mow"N"Bud LawnSite Member

Let me start off by saying, I don't own a John Deere ZTR, but I do own a John Deere Tractor that is now 20 years old and still going strong. As for John Deere toughness, I have never gotten anything from John Deere that was cheap in price or cheap in quality. In my book concerning John Deere you get what you pay for.

Here is an inexpensive test. Go to the local John Deere, get a can of John Deere spray paint (any color you want that they sell). For rattle cans it sprays the best, has a really good pattern, and IMO is almost like spraying with a paint gun. The last spray is as good as the first. About $7.00 a can, and if it isn't the best can of spray paint you have ever used in your life, please let me know. Because I like the best, and it is the best I have seen so far. That is just the start. The original JD tires just got replaced last year after 20 years of use. The proof is in the pudding to me.

4. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

One of the advantages is there is a nice sized JD dealer here and they must sell lots of equipment because there are a lot of used JD mowers for sale but nothing in exmark or toro walk behinds.

5. Green Thumb Mowing Srvcs.

Green Thumb Mowing Srvcs. LawnSite Member

I run 737's & 757's, I also run Exmark and Gravely. The JD's are tough and cut wet grass very well. The 737's hold to a hill like nobodies business. On a flat out run the Exmark puts them to shame but won't cut wet grass. And, whatever the length of grass you cut off is what comes out of the chute. Although a set of hi-lifts disperses it very well. The best advice I can give you is to find a dealer that has good service in your area and demo, demo and demo some more.

6. greengiant9963

greengiant9963 LawnSite Senior Member

I will have to second that. Great at cutting wet and overgrown grass.

7. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Are you saying the John Deere is the one that what ever length of grass you cut comes out the chute?

Anyway like I've said if the 757 was just a little faster and came with a 28 hp air cooled engine it would be a real dream mower. Just my opinion but the small engine and 9 mph speed holds me back a bit when it comes to considering a ZTR. Still for the price they seem like a great mower.