1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How do many of you handle edging as a service?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dcplace2004, Mar 27, 2006.

1. dcplace2004

dcplace2004 LawnSite Senior Member

Do you include it in the basic service? Do you use a blade only with an extra charge? Or do you not edge at all--common here in this city, even from the "Big Boys". With a stick edger, is it cost and time effective to do an edge an not miss a beat, perhaps every other week?...I will use an FC-110 by Stihl which has the torque to cut through overgrown anything like butter. Plus it has the double wheeled design to keep it steady. Plus I don't have the room for a bullky McClane or whatever brand. Also, do you all charge extra for first time cuts, especially if it is overgrown...This year, I am not playing with the charging. If the customer will not pay what I am asking, then to the curb the PITA goes. I know how I used to be with my views, but as you probably know, LCOs change their thinking once they get their feet wet. So please don't archive on me. Thanks...
  2. lowballer17

lowballer17 LawnSite Member

Stick edger for me.
    We edge every week until about July, then when ever it needs it.
  3. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

we edge every week with a stick edger.
  4. GStover

GStover LawnSite Member

Yes...if it's a first time client, and the lawn, especially the edging part of the service is overgrown, then charge extra. I've did some new clients that hadn't been edged in years, and they were a PITA...,so yes, by all means charge extra the first time...just point it out to them and let them know it will take extra work to make it look good. Most of the time I can get away with edging every other mow...
  5. shepoutside

shepoutside LawnSite Bronze Member

Charge for the inital first edge ( normal to include in Spring Service) them part of weekly service thereafter.
  6. B&B Lndscpng & Lwn Srvc

B&B Lndscpng & Lwn Srvc LawnSite Member

Stick edging is included in our basic service. And we do charge extra for 1st time customers and spring cleanups.
  7. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Out of all the accounts we have only 2 people like it done one time a year
  8. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

new account we blade it up and go from their as needed alsmot every week with string trimmers
  9. Aaron's Lawn Care

Aaron's Lawn Care LawnSite Member

For the first time edging, I charge them about as much as a single lawn mowing.

All of my customers like me to edge it every time with the exception of 2 I think. I charge $5 extra for edging. Nobody has ever had a problem with it.
  10. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

This has come up more than once. I should know, I asked something about this a while back. Seems like depending where you live, people either do it or they don't. Around me, no-one seems to do it. But this year, I'm trying a new tactic. I'm going to ask a customer if I can try out my new stick sdger on a portion of whatever needs to be edged. Then, do about 10 or 20 feet and see if they like it. Hey, the proof is on the pudding right? Get'em hooked and then see then give them a quote and a program.