How do many of you schedule your mowing? tips ideas?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ManleyLawn, Sep 21, 2003.

1. ManleyLawn

ManleyLawn LawnSite Member

I am having trouble scheduling my lwans in some kind of working order. i was wondering how everyone else does it.. if you have employees how do they know where they are going?? thanks

2. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I use Lawn Monkey for my scheduling and invoicing. They have an add-on that allows you to print out a map of all the lawns to be mowed and give the most efficient order to do so. I do not have a need for this add-on feature just yet. I can print you a "route sheet" for them with the addresses on them when at times I have not been able to go out with them.

Good luck
    MATT

3. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

I suggest that you get a city map and mount it on a foam board. Then place push pins at the locations of all your accounts. You could use different colors for weekly and bi-weekly customers. This method should give you a visual idea of where to go first, second, third, etc.

Next create a table in Word with five columns, one for each day of the business week (or more if you work the weekends also). List each account in the column for the appropriate day, in the order you want to follow. I put little boxes in front of each name, then check them off as I complete them. This form is handy to use at night when entering the work in Quickbooks.

4. AztlanLC

AztlanLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I suggest that you get a city map and mount it on a foam board. Then place push pins at the locations of all your accounts. You could use different colors for weekly and bi-weekly customers. This method should give you a visual idea of where to go first, second, third, etc.

Thats some pretty good advice and also look into a GPS system it will guide your guys where to go

5. ManleyLawn

ManleyLawn LawnSite Member

thanks guys still a small business but maybe next year i will hire some "help" thanks again

6. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

whats wong with just a set order and sticking to that route every week? slip in the occassional new customer into the route, or tack them onto the end if they're way out of the way.

i keep a time log for my mowing, time start, time end for each account, then i can look at travel time and re-arrange my route if something shows up week after week. For example, i got stuck behind a school bus 2 weeks in a row, it tacks about 30 minutes onto my day, not good.

7. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

First, you need to be the one setting the mowing day for a lawn, not the client.
    Use map suggestion as above.

I've found most residentials would prefer their lawns done nearer the weekend, commercials on the weekend or early in the week.
    With that in mind, I schedule five days, stating with Friday and fill the week backward from there. Saturday is for commercial or lawns that didn't get done for what ever reason earlier.
    Informing crews can be done several ways.
    Software programs.
    Dri-Marker boards.
    3 x 5 index cards.

8. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

How many accounts are we talking about?

Are they all located in the same city-town?

Start with the one farthest from you and work in a route, just like the milkman, and come back toward your house.

Once you establish some kind of route system then it can be modified when needed.

9. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

as said above, most res want done wed or later in the week.
    If you dont mind working weekends, I have found I can get the commercial properties done about 10% faster when they are closed. Also lets me change mowing patterns easier when the parking lots are empty. Doing commercial on weekends is sooo much easier.

Another way to orgainze your week is to get some small 3M PostItNotes...one for each account, THen buy yourself one of those cheap desk blotters with a montly paper calendar inserted. Just stick these on for the upcoming week. If you have rain or equip problem, its real ez to then just move the stickies around. With all the rain this year, I found this very helpful for keeping the mowing and landscaping work well organized. You can see the whole month at a glance and yet its ez to make changes.

10. X-mow

X-mow LawnSite Member

We use a Gps map on a laptop but that lawn monkey thing walker- talker mentioned sounds better