How do most people price?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Dave655, Feb 19, 2004.

1. Dave655

Dave655 LawnSite Member

Hi everyone,

I wanted to know how much most people price residential properties at. Do most prople price by square footage? or by the hour? And what is the going rate for each?

Thanks so much, Dave

2. Lombardi

Lombardi LawnSite Senior Member

You will find out that people use several methods to determine this. My method is to just look at the site and price accordingly. There are many variables to consider with each yard. I like to average $45-$50/hr. in mowing.
    You should also set a minimum price you will charge. A lot of guys use $25-$35 as a minimum. As long as you price according to what your area is accustomed to you will be ok. Ask around and you will soon find out what the going rates in your area are. Good luck.

3. Dave655

Dave655 LawnSite Member

Thanks a lot Dave!!!!

4. mrpickles

mrpickles LawnSite Member

We usually just see what the others are charging, then just go two or three dollars less.

Pickles

5. nclawns

nclawns LawnSite Member
    from Indy

Pickles,
    I hope everyone in your area does not bid a job like you do, or before you know it you will be mowing for free. Dont be a scrub.

6. Aleman

Aleman LawnSite Member

Define Scrub...

7. cklands

cklands LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

lets not open up that can of worms again.....

mowing and mulch by the square foot with minimums. Everything else by the hour. As far as how much.....well don't really want to post that if there are other competitors lurking around. I can say that I am not the cheapest guy on the block.

8. swim

swim LawnSite Senior Member

Ok I'll answer you the best I can if your new I'd learn to charge by the sq ft this will teach you the right way and keep you from hateing any of your jobs and keep you out of the poor house. As for how much to charge in your area that is a different story. You will have to either ask around and hope there are some nice LCO's in your area or by trial and earror nothing teaches you better than experience, but when you charge by the sq ft there are many other things to consider. How much trimming, edging, blowing, and if there are any bonus jobs. Mulching, pruning, spring and fall clean ups are just a few and they can add up to alot of extra business. Also on the cheaper (low baller thing) most customers that you will keep as a premant customer will like quality more than the cheaper price. The ones that always take the lower price will replace you as soon as they find a lower price.

9. Dave655

Dave655 LawnSite Member

I want to thank everyone here, I've learned so much!!

Thanks, Dave

10. swim

swim LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry after seeing your profile I see that you have been in business for 3 years but I still think the info that I gave you is the best also make sure that you are charging enough to cover your expences and still make some for yourself noone wants to work for free no mater how much you love this type of work.