How do my front castors work?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DynaMow, May 25, 2005.

1. DynaMow

DynaMow LawnSite Senior Member

Here is my question, The adjustment spacers on the front castors, how do they work? I have four spacers on each spindle. If I chage the amount this will lower or raise the front of the mower, right? Now will that just make the blades hit more in the front or back instead of all the way around, even to the ground?

2. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

what???????????

3. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

That is correct. This, and the additional spacers that you have on each blade, are a combination of height adjustments. Yes, you have the right idea. I would want to adjust the majority of blade height with the washers that are with the blades. I would use the washers that are with the front casters to concentrate on deck height. Remember the 1/4" rule...

4. Glenn J

Glenn J LawnSite Member

Homeowner here: What's the 1/4" rule?

5. jim dailey

Leveling the deck, make sure the front is 1/8" to 1/4" lower than the back. The deck performs better that way. Your lawn will like you better for it. The neighborhood kids will look at you as a hero, and the wife/gf will show their affections towards you. Try it.

6. The mayor

The mayor LawnSite Senior Member

I thought the front caster spacers were only for the deck adjustment.

7. hustlerdealer

hustlerdealer LawnSite Member

what you are refering to is puting a positive rake on the deck, by raising the back a 1/4 of an inch. there are some mowers out there that require a negative rake on the deck. this is done by raising the front. as for the question of will make it cut more just in the front of the deck. that is really all that is supposed to cut the grass! payup

8. jim dailey

YES, that is correct. The spacers at the blades are for blade height. The spacers at the casters are for deck height. BUT, when you adjust the height of the deck, you are ALSO adjusting the height of the blades. Think about it.

9. hustlerdealer

hustlerdealer LawnSite Member

the spacers on the casters are there for minor height adjustment. if you want to make major adjustments you must do so with blade spacers.

10. Glenn J

Glenn J LawnSite Member

LOL! Well if that's the case, I'll have to look into this. :)