1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How do other solo guys take a break?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Eho, Feb 24, 2005.

1. Eho

Eho LawnSite Member

Hey guys, I'm solo and I load all of my equipment in the back of my truck. When I'm out mowing, and need to take a break( not to eat but to use the restroom) I wonder what I should do. I can always go to a gas station, but I fear leaving my equipment in the back of the truck even for a minute or two. I was wondering how you other solo guys handle this. thanks
  2. LightningLawns

LightningLawns LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know how you would since you don't have a trailer, I lock my stuff up on my trailer when I go to the store and take the key out of the lawn mower. Try and save to get a trailer to lock you stuff up on.
  3. Todd's lawncare

Todd's lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from P.A

i leave all mine in truck or on the trailer i live in a small town but that don't mean anything end of last year some stole a 10 ton roller and a 45' dump trailer from around here but noone has taken anything while using rest room or at lunch now leveeing it over nite i have had a few thing but the answer i leave it on the truck
  4. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Man am I ever thankful to live in a smaller, low-crime town! I rarely even think about stuff being stolen off my rig when I'm anywhere. I'd say you are just going to have to pick and choose where you stop... I guess it's just a matter of time before I get something swipped. I have heard of a few other guys here that have lost trimmers and gas cans while eating lunch...
  5. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

I'm solo, but sometimes you have to blend into your surroundings. You know what I mean :angel:
  6. LightningLawns

LightningLawns LawnSite Senior Member

I know a guy that went into the bank to cash a check, left his keys in his truck because he was only going to be a minute, came out and everything was gone. He found the truck and trailer later at a garage in a bad part of town, his truck had no trans or engine and all his equipment was gone. We live in a small town also with low crime, but theres always someone out there that will take your stuff if your in the wrong place at the wrong time.
  7. metiernan

metiernan LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

I love living in a small town. I rarely worry about anything getting stolen. Sometimes when I am having a bad day I wish I could see someone try and still something off my truck so me and the employee can kick the **** out of them. And if I have to take a piss I open the door on my truck and piss on the ground next to it. It seems like I never have to take a **** but my employee does at the buisiest time of the day.
  8. Kubota130

Kubota130 LawnSite Member

if you can keep your small gear locked up then back your truck or trailer againts the wall dumpster tree etc.... i would like to see them get the kubota off the trailer! with out driving/rolling off with the ramp
  9. newbomb

newbomb LawnSite Senior Member

One of the best things I ever did was to buy an enclosed trailer. Mine has swinging doors unfortunately but with two 2x6's I have no trouble with wb's. A trailer is a large expense when you start out but enclosed is the only way to go. They are very secure and you don't have to even think about losing something. When you get home just park it lock it and go.

I can't stress enough how good this set up works. I know they are expensive but if you watch you can get a good deal on used ones. If you run just a truck or open trailer you will lose things. That's just how society is now.

10. Tomt

Tomt LawnSite Member

Oh yea, that was another benefit of an enclosed trailer. :cool: