How do other you pay your help??

Discussion in 'Employment' started by oxfordlawn, Jul 3, 2011.

1. oxfordlawn

oxfordlawn LawnSite Member

I am expanding fairly quickly and just bought another mower and a larger trailer...time to go go. I have a helper who I pay by the hour but feel he could/should be more productive, if given the right scenario of money compensation for working quicker type of deal. My question is how do others pay their helpers out here?
    I am considering giving a certain amount per lawn since most yards are pretty much the same size in our working area. for example if I am paying $9 per hour, but change to $3 per yard, we can easily do 4-5 yards in an hour and be gone if we both hustle. In a long run I feel the hustle and go theory would cost me about the same as per hour---but just be done in a shorter time frame. Basically more work in a shorter time, he gets the same pay, I can grab more lawns and he can make more $$. (and me too)

Did that all make sense :)

2. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

Our guys get paid by the hour.

3. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

how about you leave it by the hour and expect more results?

4. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

Keep it simple. Pay by the hour, but sit down with your employee and show/tell him exactly what is expected. Have guidelines and rules and follow them.

5. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Paying piecemeal can get you into IRS trouble. Paying more and expecting more usually doesn't work either. Its like rewarding poor behavior. Some people can't be motivated by money or any incentive for that matter.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. alanauer

alanauer LawnSite Member

I'd suggest base pay plus a discretionary bonus for fast but careful quality work.

7. oxfordlawn

thanks for sharing your thoughts...never really gaave the whole IRS situation any thought...guess its best to just leave hourly pay alone. Thats why I like these forums...Thanks again.

8. Jeremiah Dyke

Jeremiah Dyke LawnSite Member

I've been asking myself the same question. I’ve got to the point where I need to hire someone for about a day a week. I tried family members but I feel like I should pay them more than the productivity their giving me. The thing I hate about hourly work is the downtime and transition time between lawns. Many of my yards are 5-10 miles apart and couple that with breaks, etc, I feel like I’m overpaying. I assume this is what every seasoned pro on here already knows. I’ve thought about per lawn but it seems like it works better on large lawns.

9. oxfordlawn

yeah I hear you and its the non working time thats eating me up inside too. The time to fuel up in the mornings and get coffees, restringing trimmers and then pissing and then dilly dallying around the truck, moving trailers and cars, changing edger blades at a slow rate...these are the things I see and kill me. But I understand I am the owner and expect and would like everyone to work 110% all the time, but know thats not going to happen. So this is where I was wondering about the per yard pay, and this would take some stress off me in the slow morning fuelings or sleepy guy days. I wish I could just clone another me that would work for free :)

10. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

I have figured expenses for a 10 hour work day into 7 billable hours if that helps at all. Besides that, tell the help how things need to work. Im paying 15/hr for lawns and 20/hr for landscaping... Im in NY, anyone else paying as much? I dont think you are going to get the same effort out of people for less money. At least in NY.