1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How do others do it??

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Neil M, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Neil M

Neil M LawnSite Member

New guy, just starting this year. Getting a little frustrated. I put out an ad in some local papers and have gotten some calls mostly for spring cleaning, and only 2 cut accounts. Wife is worried, I'm nervous, want to be legit but not with 2 accounts. Sorry about the little vent. My question is will it come and why does it seem so easy for some people to do little or no advertising and get tons of calls and jobs.
  2. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

you have to build a name for yourself...... customers will get you more customers....
  3. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

Yeah, it is a little worrying. I'm also in Waueksha, Wi and experiencing sort of the same thing... put 1,000 professionally designed full color flyers out and got 3 calls - 1 mowing contract out of it. I have another bid out which would be nice to get but I think it is going to be a lean year.

Whats your business name and where are you serving?

The guys that get the calls from no advertising have been doing it for 5, 10+ years and have quite a few accounts to spread the word.
  4. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

I'd be a little worried. Not that it is too late but a lot of people are out there looking for lawn care right now. Make sure that you are doing all the advertising you can, newspaper ads are not near enough.
  5. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

First year is always lean. As for what you are doing for advertising, dont think a simple ad in a paper will get you customers. You need to get out and show your face.
    make some fliers, that are professional, and get out and start papering neighborhoods. It will take a while but you need to get name recognition.
    Another good way is when all the others are really busy doing cleanups and such you need to get out there and try selling aeration's. Aeration's catch peoples eyes even if they do their lawn. I would suggest pricing modest say 5-20 dollars above rental price for your average 5000 sq ft lawn. Once you get people seeing you aerating their neighbors turf they will want it also. One word of advice. if you are renting an aerator make sure to schedule more than 5 per day. Otherwise you will be working for peanuts.
    Spring and summer might be rough.
    Just before and during leaf drop get out there and advertise and go door to door for leaf cleanups.
    Motivation and getting out and spending time advertising is the only way people will know who you are and thus wanting to hire you.
    What ever you do don't under price your work. You will regret it later as you find out raising your prices is harder than it sounds.
  6. FinerCutslawnCare

FinerCutslawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

I try getting 3 or 4 to start off becasue after that word of mouth is your best advertisement!!
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

It does take time, sex helps calm the nerves lol at least you got a wife !

For anyone else reads this:
    This is the reason I keep telling ppls to save 5 or 10 thousand dollars first, so you have some spare cash. The first year is brutal as it helps divide the wannabee from the true blue and it is unfortunate but it has to be this way.
    Either stick with it through thick and thin until you know where the expression 'I built this business with my blood' comes from, or get out while you're ahead lol.
    The good news is if you make it through the first year, the worst is over. It's not to say it doesn't come around consistently in the following years, but things really do improve with time.