1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

how do people like the echo srm 261T?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Robber80, Jun 17, 2005.

1. Robber80

Robber80 LawnSite Member
    from Vermont

i have a echo srm 260 and like it a lot, but i need to get a second trimmer, and was thinking of the 261T, but i don't know if the head will spin to slow because of the increased torque.

i guess the main thing is, i don't want to buy it just for long grass, can it be used for regular trimmer also? i don't want to buy it for specifically long grass trimming, because my 260 can do that for the most part. thank you for the help.
  2. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Robber -

You can use that trimmer anywhere you're currently using your 260.

I have a 261t and trimmed the lip of the shield off so I can run the string longer.

You shouldn't have any problem running your trimmer with a cut of 20"+, unless you're into REALLY heavy grass / weeds, but even then you'll have a much improved trimmer.

Only thing you'll have to watch out for is your forearm, when you're running that thing with that much drain on the engine, that engine gets pretty warm.
  3. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

What's new on the 261t? How did they increase the torque?
  4. I'll second LwnmwrMan22 on that. I bought a 261t a month ago and use it on all my accounts. The downside is it will burn the forearm if you rest it on the engine very long.
  5. Robber80

Robber80 LawnSite Member
    from Vermont

well thats what i needed to know, my 260 seems to be pretty hot on the forarm too so i'm use to that. thank you for all the replys! i'll go for the 261T.
  6. MercyMe

MercyMe LawnSite Member

The much larger gear box produces all of the extra torque. The SRM-261T is a monster of a trimmer! More torque than the 4 cycle/ 4mix stuff and less weight.
  7. Robber80

Robber80 LawnSite Member
    from Vermont

i just bought the srm 261T and it is awsome! the first thing i did was go cut down the bambo forrest that was behind me house. it cut though the bambo like it was nothing. i even grabbed my 260 to compare and the 260 bogged like crazy. i'd deffenetly recommend the 261T to anyone, it even works good for regular trimming! thanks for all the replys!
  8. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

How much is the 261t?
  9. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

I beleive its about $20 more than the 260, which would be about 3 bills if I remember right.
  10. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

$269 is the average for one around here, I've seen them go for $249.

But I won't waste my $$$ on one.. The carburetion stinks, and the folks that have said it gets hot ain't lying.. If I work one for @ 20 mins, it will get so hot it will BURN my arm..

I will admit that it is lots more powerful than the regular 260, but it still lacks punch..We have an ancient Echo 3100 at work, and it is more powerful by just a bit.. I imagine the gearbox swapped onto the 310 series, or even other brands of trimmers would create a beast.. Local dealer told me the gearbox is @ $90... :(