How do people view you?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gandk06, Nov 7, 2007.

1. gandk06

gandk06 LawnSite Senior Member

I have really been noticing this lately. As I am out working people will not even make eye contact with me. I am not talking about my customers but rather people that drive or walk by. I am always nice and wave or stop and turn off the blades when someone walks by as not to hit them with clippings. I am starting to get the feeling that people view me as someone that is dumb and can just cut grass.
    I actually only do this part time. I have a masters degree so I am educated I just enjoy being outside and being my own boss for part of the day. The way people look at me at my other job and they way they look at me while cutting are two totally different ways. I am not a scary looking person (at least I don't think so).:confused:
    This is just really starting to bother me more and more. Is it really that hard to say hi or wave when someone says it to you?

Do other people see this too, or is it just me? Maybe I shouldn't't care as much but is drives my nuts to see people like this.

Grant

2. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

I guess image doesn't bother me much. I'm not educated, but I'm not stupid. I've always had a blue collar job, and am pretty used to being thought of as a peon.

That said, maybe you should move to MO. Around here, EVERYBODY waves at everybody else. Half the time you don't have a clue who it is, you just do it. :)

3. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Please don't take this as an attack, but you're analyzing your audience too hard. I'm sure they are not looking at you like you assume they are. Most people would assume that you are AT WORK and it's human instinct to ignore someone that is working as to not disturb them. Even if you are acknowledging them, the instinct may be overpowering the moment.

A Master's is a little high on the education "food chain" for our industry though. Not to discourage you, but $100,000 in education should put you in a better chair than an Exmark (if you know what I mean).

Just out of curiosity, what did you study, where did you get your degree from, and what year did you graduate?

I am an Ozark Christian Academy alumni from 2000 and studied Theology. Didn't feel like preaching the rest of my life and couldn't find my calling, so I joined the construction industry. Can't say I'd do the same if I had a Master's though....hmmm?

If you like waving and smiling, Cincinnati sounds a lot like MO in that regard. Maybe it's them...not you?

4. gandk06

gandk06 LawnSite Senior Member

I know what you mean, but just wave back.

I am teacher and have a master's degree in educational administration. I am 31 and have been teaching for 9 years.

I worked for a landscape company all through college and still love the work. I am lucky enough to be able to do both.

5. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

What galls meis when I WAVE at someone, you know, just the friendly hand raise and acknowledge they are there and they just look at me and then away. Like it's that hard to wave back!?
    Granted I don't wave at or say "hi" to every passer-by, but if they are in close proximity to me then it feels awquard to me to not do something. Guess it's not the same for everyone.

6. wooley99

wooley99 LawnSite Senior Member

You can move to rural AL or TX (two of the waviest places on earth). Everyone waves at everyone. Even the cops wave when they drive by. Just don't ask "How ya'll doin'?" if you're pressed for time...

7. wooley99

wooley99 LawnSite Senior Member

But here in suburban Lower Alabama the lawn dude (or dudette) is invisible. Doesn't bother me a bit. I still wave or somehow acknowledge another humans presence and if they look the other way I just press on.

8. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I've noticed that with some people but who cares. if they think they are better than you, screw them. Chances are you maybe making more than they are and you are doing something you enjoy. I've had plenty of white collar, high educated people come up to me and say that they envy me cause I get to work outside doing what I enjoy. I picked my future, it didn't pick me. The ones who think I'm dumb and ignorant are only fooling themselves.

9. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Perhaps you'd get their attention better if you waved with your middle finger? Give it a try and let us know how it goes...

10. Siesta Key Lawn Service

Siesta Key Lawn Service LawnSite Member

The most important thing is your own self image. If you are happy doing what your doing,who cares about the casual passerby.Just be polite and enjoy your day.