How do the Isuzu cabovers rate?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by DaveHLLC, Feb 16, 2003.

1. DaveHLLC

DaveHLLC LawnSite Member
    from CT

I'm looking to get a cabover mason dump for hauling mulch and pulling a Gehl skid steer (8000lbs). I'm thinking about the Isuzu FRR, or the Nissan UD 1800. I've heard that some of the isuzus are having engine problems. I was wondering if that was with the N series or the F series or both. If any body has any experience with these trucks could you give me a little advice.

2. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Hey Dave--- Ive been doing a ton of research on the cabovers the last couple of months. I test drove everything, and finally settled on the Mits. FESP. I heard firsthand about the engine probs. and the Mits. was just an overall more comfortable truck to drive. Where in CT are you???
  3. DaveHLLC

DaveHLLC LawnSite Member
    from CT

upper fairfield county, how about you?
  4. Planet Landscaping

Planet Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I live in Oxford myself.
  5. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Im lower NHaven county, Derby.......were prob. neighbors....
  6. Swampbeast

Swampbeast LawnSite Senior Member

While working at one job (small time delivery, its a part time job) I drove both the Mitsubishi and the Isuzu, I found the Mitsubishi a better truck.

7. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

Not to get too far off topic but has anyone had any dealing with the Bering cab overs. Know that they are not beeing manufactured anymore but reading thier specs everything on them mechanical is American. Detroit Diesel, Allison Transmission ECT. Looking thru the truck traders have seen many 2001-2002 brand new or with maybe 10,000 miles for way less than 20,000, In my neck of the woods you would be hard pressed to find a half ton pick up with a bunch of miles for the price these are going for
  8. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

The problem with the little COE trucks is they don't work all that well going off road the back of them is light so you get into some dirt the wheels spin. My concern would be you dump your load of gravel or topsoil and you are on soft ground you will be stuck for sure.