How do they do it?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by StBalor, Apr 14, 2011.

1. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

Lost yet another bid today. It was a mulching job, 11,200 sq. ft. by my calculations thats 104 yrds of mulch. customer wanted a full 3" of mulch spread over the entire area. lots of weeding and lots of edging. turned in a low, low price of 5200.00 that included weeding edging and mulch.

I was under bid. the lady i have been working for , for 4 years told me she went with another company that gave her a bid of 1800.00
    I could not even get the mulch for that price. How can someone do this job so cheap?

I am about to give up on pricing mulch jobs. Last year i was getting 100.00 yrd. but that included trimming shrubs and edging. this year i can't get 50.00 yrd. so how can they do it for 18.00 a yrd, pull weeds and edge? Sounds like this other company just has alot of free time on their hands and doing jobs for cost of Materials.

2. Premier landscaping south

Premier landscaping south LawnSite Senior Member

Landfill mulch?

3. johnnybow

johnnybow LawnSite Member

That sucks, i dont know how they can do that for that price. Probably has illegals working for them.

4. denis35

denis35 LawnSite Member

That's insane, I just laid 12 yards of CUSTOMER SUPPLIED MULCH today for $420. Edging was billed seperatly at 1 dollar per linear foot, for a total of 640
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

I was thinking the same thing. but they do not load you here, you have to shovel it in your vehicle. Thats alot of shoveling for crappy mulch.

6. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

i just did a 20 yard mulch job and charged $1800 for labor and mulch. lol i cant imagine doing 100+ yards for the same price.

7. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Even at wholesale, reasonably good hardwood mulch would cost more than the bid itself.

I'm seeing this type of bidding across the board. Every time I get a customer that tells me I'm too expensive, I just tell them I have a family to feed, and to do jobs at ridiculously low prices takes food away from my family.

8. Birchwood

Birchwood LawnSite Member

Out of curiosity what do they say to that. Do they change there mind?

9. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Generally no, they don't change their minds. It's all about the money. No skin off my teeth though. If I can't make money off a job, then I don't want it. The only time I will budge on my price is if the other bids were close to what mine were.

I go into a bit too about how if a bid is ungodly low, then they are skimping on the details and that the customer might night get a good or lasting product in the end.

Funny thing is though, they are still willing to take that chance.

10. bdconsoli

bdconsoli LawnSite Member

The dump down here will load it with a bobcat for free. Not sure whether the Millersville dump will but Sudley down past Edgewater will. Maybe that's where they got it from?