1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How do they make money?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by jlohouston, Jun 7, 2006.

1. jlohouston

jlohouston LawnSite Member

Today I saw a F350 with NINE workers in it... They had only 2 mowers and 4 trimmers.... How does someone make any money paying a crew of 9.
  2. fulano

fulano LawnSite Senior Member

Were the workers legal? Maybe he is paying low wages or maybe they were family of the lco or something.
  3. La Reina

La Reina LawnSite Member

I've seen the same thing here w/ a well known company, many times had so many workers and at little sites too. I guess if they all ride crew cab together all day and hit site after site they are paid by the hour or a part of each site finished. As long as they have lots of jobs to be done and ride together it may pay off for the company, oh and no the ones I saw didn't look legal but who knows either way they are getting the job done.
  4. extlights

extlights LawnSite Senior Member

I see that all the time. When we asked a crew about that, they said that they weren't all working out of that same truck. They were in a subdivision doing multiple homes and other trucks were following with more equipment. When the other trucks pulled up it made more sense considering all those trucks were regular cabs.
  5. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

I run multiple crews every week throughout the year.
    Occasionally, we freight to given areas with support vehicles carrying/trailering additional equipment.
    Multiple/large crews allows for greater work load, less fatigue - very important in the 100*+ days we are already experiencing, and larger properties are completed much more quickly than with smaller crews.
  6. michael21

michael21 LawnSite Member

Wish I had nine workers:usflag:
  7. SWD

You can have all of the payroll, taxes and insurance overhead too!
    I have eight employees and my payroll is routinely above $4K/week.
  8. garth1967

garth1967 LawnSite Senior Member

i think thats amazing.i would love to know the answer too.......i mean how do they do it .....this question has to be answered.the question often gets asked on this site but never gets answered.is there anybody on here that possibly knows of this great secret:walking:
  9. SWD

There is no great secret to it. I am running a business and responding to the demands of such.
    Customers require my services in ever greater amounts therefore I have to add employees to meet these needs.
    I watch my numbers closely, provide superior services, have a adequately trained staff, good communication skills, and am busy all of the time.
    There is a hell of a lot more to being a "LCO" than just mowing turf - it is a business - approach it as such!
    Become more professional in your demeanor, knowledge and language, wear a clean uniform each day that matches, have professional appearing equipment, and learn to use the "spell" button on this site.
  10. nephilim0167

nephilim0167 LawnSite Member

Theres an LCO here in Phoenix who drives old beater vans. I've seen 5 guys sitting in the front of the van. Amazing to me as it's only meant to hold 3. People are strange.