1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

how do they make thier prices?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jan 18, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

ok, listen to this, HOW THE HELL DO LAWNBOYS MAKE THIER PRICES?? i asked a client for a written refferel. he said i was great, la de da de da, alot of wonderful things, then also wrote, " i've used other services, and bob is much more competant, and his prices are equal to, or lower than the others. :cry: :cry: :dizzy: :dizzy: i'm looking at the file right now. 3,000 sq ft of turf. mowing fee=$28 per cut. fert program (no grub) $300. THESE ARE PREMIUM RATES. yet, he claims i'm cheaper than most of the other quotes he got. now mind you, i lost 2 customers in the same development, one was $30, the other $28. i was replaced by a $19, and a $22. ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE COIN, this guy showed me who he used last year for ferts only, the contract was for $750. for a 3k program that had so much stuff on it, it could poison the entire neighborhood. what is wrong with this picture? the prices are all over the map!!!!!!!!
  2. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm thinking that he put the comment about your prices being lower, because he thought it might help you to gain more business.
  3. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

How to decide prices? Cover overhead and make a profit.
  4. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

i make up stuff as i go.
  5. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

yea, hmm, didn't think of that. you could be right. phew, for a minute there, i thought i was a low bal..., a low ball......, a low bal....damn, i can't even say it
  6. newbomb

newbomb LawnSite Senior Member

Bobby, I think you've got 2 things going on here.

1 Kids and idiots out mowing for a fast buck (lowballers), or

2 Guys who maybe know what their doing but are fishing for suckers whom they think will pay anything. Also the customer may have gotten a high estimate from someone who really didn't want the job or was too busy. -Paul.
  7. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Yeah Bobby the $19 one was probably some 15 year old using his daddy's 21" Murray but ....he has been in "BUSINESS" 5 years when he signs up on a board and can tell you all about overhead and profit yet he has no insurance, license and as never filed out a 940 and a 941 not a 1040 or a Schedule C for the 1040 and never paid a dime in taxes :dizzy:
  8. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Damn Bobby, you never cease making me laugh. That was great!