1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

How do they wear shorts?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Diversified Maintenance, May 28, 2007.

1. Diversified Maintenance

Diversified Maintenance LawnSite Member

Just a quick question in relation to wearing shorts? I always wear a uniform shirt and jeans but I see these guys out cutting lawns in shorts. Last time I cut in shorts I could never do a quality trimming job because it would sting your legs. So if your wearing shorts...do you have legs of leather or scimming on the trimming??

2. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I often wear shorts once it gets really hot. We allow everyone to wear shorts if they like as long as they are khaki.

Now here is the thing. I realize that while trimming my legs are going to get beat up. I weigh out the pros and the cons. If I wear shorts to help keep cool, my legs will get cut up, bloody, bruised, and anything els that you can imagine. Is it worth it? Probably not. Is worth it to me? Yep, sometimes. Will I allow it to have an impact on the quality of work? Absolutely not. As long as the quality is there I will continue to allow them to wear shorts.

3. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I couldnt immagine wearing pants in summer. Just too damn hot here for that. Just deal with things hitting your legs, there are worse things.

4. packer101

packer101 LawnSite Member

i wear shorts when im trimming, comes out great and legs are fine. Once i get going i tend to be able to keep it from really getting my legs.

5. thesargent

thesargent LawnSite Senior Member

yeah, you learn how to keep stuff from hitting you most of the time, but one in a while, man it hurts. i would much rather wear shorts in the summer and suffer the occasional rock than be blazin hot.

6. SSS 18734

SSS 18734 LawnSite Member

I don't know how they do it either. Every once in a while I will wear shorts if I only have a few jobs, but I dread the trimming.

I just wear those black Adidas athletic pants with the white lines down the sides. Those stay just as cool as shorts, but I don't really feel the heat in my legs anyway.

7. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I wear work shorts as soon as possible in the Spring, and as late as possible in the Fall. And, I do all the trimming with a string trimmer. Oh yes, my legs get pretty well beat up -- red pock marks, red marks from strange vegetation, etc. It is not unusual to draw blood. But, wearing long pants is just too hot for me. The trade-off is a no-brainer decision for me.

8. Mark13

Mark13 LawnSite Member

Would wearing some sort of shin guards from like soccer help when trimming? They only take a few seconds to put on and they should keep most of the stuff from leaving marks when it hits you.

9. Turf Terror

Turf Terror LawnSite Member

Stay real cool, like this guy...

Man Charged With Nude Gardening

A man has gone on trial accused of gardening in the nude.

30-year-old Yan Price appeared in York Crown Court on Tuesday, where the court heard claims that his neighbours were shocked to see him mowing the lawn entirely naked.

One neighbour, a young mother, said: 'I felt intimidated. You could see everything.'

'She could see the defendant out in the garden and he wasn't wearing a stitch of clothing. He was completely naked using the lawnmower,' said Howard Shaw, prosecuting.

Price's neighbours have complained about him sunbathing in the nude before, during an alleged two-year feud which saw Price given an Asbo preventing him from speaking to his neighbours.

He is also charged with breaching that Asbo.

Price denied the charges of indecent exposure, claiming that he had merely been mowing the lawn wearing a towel when, as he tried to fix a fault with the machine, his towel slipped off.

http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/article.html?in_article_id=35651&in_page_id=2

10. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

I don't wear shorts when i'm working. Yellow Jackets.