1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

how do those city water shutoffs work

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by grass disaster, Jul 16, 2007.

1. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

i hit one of those steel valves sticking out of the ground today. now it's leaking water.

how deep are they? is there a wrench i can get to stick down the pipe and try tighten the shutoff?
  2. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

If it's leaking you may of cracked the pipe. You will have to call the water dept. to fix it and it might coat some payup
  3. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

I wouldnt worry about it. The city has people to fix them and it may only need to be back seated. They would prolly rather do it themselves than you . You could call them and tell them its leaking if you want to.
  4. grass disaster

what's back seated????????

but the head is cut clean off and the pipe is bent.

i don't believe i hit it very hard i think the main damage was done by previous mower.

it's in a vaccant lot with lost of weeds is why i didn't see it.
  5. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Generally the valves are below the frost line. 6 foot in South Dakota. When we did service to the house I would walk the trench to know it was the proper depth.

There are wrenches for shut off. They are usually 1/4 turn on curb stops. Call the municipal water department.

If the tube is bent enough that the wrench will not go all the way in then they would have to go digging and remove the riser to get to the valve.
  6. Mjtrole

Mjtrole LawnSite Member

Call the water dept. of the city or goto the water dept building and talk to them about it. Water shutoffs/curbstops are not something you want to mess if you don't know what you are doing and it's at least 4ft. deep.
  7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Let your insurance pay for it, if a repair runs into money. They have to dig deeper than the frost line to effect repairs.
  8. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

Are you sure you broke it. Maybe it leaked before you got there and you aggravated the problem. I dont think the city will make you pay because maybe it wasnt even your fault.
  9. grass disaster

i agree .........
  10. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

A Plumber or Homeowner is considered to be tampering with a water meter here if he only cuts the water off or turns the water on at the meter. ( $100.00 fine).

The city will turn off / turn on the water during normal working hours at no cost. After working hours or weekends it is a $45.00 fee.

Now they have switched over to a satellite reading system with a mushroom type antenna on top of the lid. Two homeowers here have already damaged the mushrooms and have been billed $122.75 for replacement. The city says even if a mushroom is vandalized the property owner is responsible for the cost.

They can tell if there is a leak between meters, if the water is shut off and even when a person is taking a shower or flushing the stool.

Big Brother Is Watching. ;)

PS: This is in Oklahoma and the signal is sent to Chicago.