1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

how do u answer this question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jan 31, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

every year new prospects ask me this question. and in fact, i got a call yesterday for an estimate: "i have a small child, will the chemicals from your program harm my child? what kind of precautions do you reccomend?"
  2. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Stay off of the lawn until the chemicals have dried and never ever allow you kids to graze on the lawn under any circumstances.
  3. sunturf

sunturf LawnSite Member

if anything just find a msds sheet for the chemicals you use and give that to her
  4. B&B Lndscpng & Lwn Srvc

B&B Lndscpng & Lwn Srvc LawnSite Member

Hello sunturf, glad to see more from alabama
  5. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

other than how much will it cost?
    thats got to be the next most popular question.
    I like the msds sheet idea. :D
  6. bobbygedd

from NJ

they are entitled, by law, to the msds sheets. WHAT THEY ARE ASKING, is my personal opinion based on my knowledge and experience. using only that, how would you answer?
  7. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

Of course we should advise customers about staying off the lawn if the directions for the product recommend doing so, but there's a part deux to this.

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency closely monitors the fertilizers and pest controls used in the U.S. We have perhaps the most restrictive regulatory system for these products in the world. Furthermore, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention closely track any alleged health problems associated with the chemicals in question.

I told a customer this past year pretty much what I just related here. Seemed to take care of it. I mean, when was the last time anyone here heard of a toxin-induced congenital defect associated with lawn care products? Just about never? Ask your nervous customers when they last heard of such an occurrence. Betcha they can't answer.
  8. bobbygedd

from NJ

at one of my state classes:" what are the long term effects of pesticides?" the instructor:" nobody knows, they havn't been around long enough, and in the short time they have been around, formulations and strength of same have changed so drastically.....nobody knows."
  9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Scary is all I can say bobby...
  10. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

You say, "It will peel the paint off your house and give your family a permanent orange afro" "That will be $450, up front, for the season, please"