how do u keep the water clear?

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by SPENCER HUNTER, Jun 19, 2007.

1. SPENCER HUNTER

SPENCER HUNTER LawnSite Member

i have a water fountain,, made of concrete how do you keep the water clear from algae about 20 gal of water in this thing 3 tier type

2. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

you almost have to treat it like a swimming pool...i have 4 fountains from 100-2000 gallon and i have to keep chlorine and such in the fountain.

I usually end up draining each fountain at least once a month.

3. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

There is a ultra-violet treatment available if you have a circulating unit.
    filtrific.com

4. noweigel

noweigel LawnSite Member

Pond netting via seasonalsolutions.net

5. LTL

LTL LawnSite Member
    from Tulsa

If there are no plants then use chlorine tablets or a 10:1 water bleach mix.

6. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

ummm, not talking ponds on this post, this was about a fountain....

7. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

I just tried this stuff and it works, also won't hurt the birds coming to take a drink.

http://www.clearpond.com/docs/prod_water.html

8. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I just tried out some stuff called 'Fountec' on a disappearing fountain that I did last spring. I got a call a few weeks ago from the customer. She said algae had built up pretty badly in it and she wanted to know if there was anything I could do. I drained it, (holds around 150 gallons) left it for a few days, sprayed the fountain itself out with a hose and cycled maybe 100 gallons of fresh water through the reservoir and out the bypass.

There was still a good deal of algae down in the reservoir, but I went ahead and refilled it and put in the cleanup dose of Fountec in. I checked today and the reservoir and the water looked clear as can be. I didn't see any algae.

The dose you will use is very small. Looking at the directions on the bottle, you would probably need about 1/2 tsp for a cleanup and about 20 drops per week to maintain it. A bottle would last you probably a couple of years. The only thing it is not safe for is fish.