how do u respond to the lowball??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mgoldman, Mar 2, 2011.

1. mgoldman

mgoldman LawnSite Member
    from Cola SC

Howdy, i'm new to the lawn service game and I'm already experiencing getting substantially out bid. Maybe i charge too much, but i dont think i am. Today i got a response from a bid to rake and bag a 3/4 acre lawn with a seasons worth of leaves, to clean out 75 ft of rear gutters, to pick up all sticks in yard and haul it all away. I bid $170. The winning bid was $75; the home owner called and told me so. Was i just really that high? Seems like a lot 'o work and hauling for $75. Is this common? :confused:

2. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I would have wanted more. Someone with no credentials is doing it to either feed his family or get beer money. Lets hope they don't fall and hurt their self or the lady might get sued.

3. kilgoja

kilgoja LawnSite Senior Member

don't rake it...run over it with your mower and mulch the leaves up...then you can charge $75....like the regular price of a cut

4. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Before I do all you listed above for 75 bucks and I will put up every piece of equipment I have for sale and sit at the house! I think your price was very fair if not a tad on the low side. I'm affraid we are going to be seeing a LOT of this kind of pricing in the future. These kind of lowballers can't last forever but do a lot of damage before its over. And hauling it off also with gas just hitting 3.49 here today, he is doing it for free.:hammerhead:

5. Golfpro21

Golfpro21 LawnSite Senior Member

that low baller is the same guy dumping what he took away oin a ditch on the side of a road somewhere too...has no dignity or concern for our environment

6. jbell36

jbell36 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from KANSAS

seems like i have ran into it the most this year than ever

7. aarons lawn

aarons lawn LawnSite Member

id pe pissed off 170 is fair id tell thay guy youll doit 4 70 just to try n take that bonners work from him!!!!

8. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

It’s just a matter of time when they see there is no money to be in business they will run and don’t look back

9. Golfpro21

Golfpro21 LawnSite Senior Member

why would he want to take that "bonners" work when that "bonners" work will lose him money

10. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Let me guess. You got this lead from a Craigslist ad. Let the village idiot have it for 70. Wait until he falls off the ladder or quits halfway through. I know its hard to leave anything on the table but sometimes you have to stick to your guns. Fundamental rule cheap customers are pitas'.
    Posted via Mobile Device