How do we get rid of grubs?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Travis Followell, Feb 27, 2005.

1. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

The farm where I work we have quite a bit of roadsides and areas that we mow and the moles have absolutely it torn all to pieces. Before we start mowing this year were gonna have to rent a small roller to run over it so we wont dull our brand new mower blades. So how can I get rid of the grubs so the moles will quit plowing up the roadsides?

2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Travis

It is the moles you need to get rid of. Controlling all grubs will not get rid of the moles. Moles eat many different things including earth worms.

Bottom line is you need to trap the moles. This is not an easy thing to do. Good Luck I would not want to be in your shoes.

3. northmichigan

northmichigan LawnSite Member

are you sure they are moles not voles [meadow mouse] cause moles make holes whereas voles throw dirt on top of the sod.
    .02 :waving:
    mj

4. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

My dad said they were moles so I guess he's right but he may not be. There are big piles of dirt all over the ground. They may be voles.

5. northmichigan

northmichigan LawnSite Member

the reason i bring this up is trapping voles with a 'mechanical mouse trap' is possible. the box type trap has a baiting room that triggers a spring that throws them into a jailhouse. they start screaming'i didn't do it!' and that actually attracts more of them to a similar fate. ace used to sell these traps and i used them to catch many a vole.
    some folks call voles a mole so just checking about the i.d. :)
    mj

6. advancedlawnsolutions

advancedlawnsolutions LawnSite Member

If they are moles try Talprid from Bell labratories. That seems to be the hot stuff on moles down here in the south- - very good success rate.

7. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

I have heard the same thing up here.

8. gscone

gscone LawnSite Member
    from NY

Dylox is your friend.

9. cemars

cemars LawnSite Senior Member

A short statement that leaves much to be implied. Dylox will control grubs at the correct rate with suffiicient irrigation, and will also kill its fair share of earthworms, nematodes, etc. because it is not a "friendly" product. If you want to target moles, trapping, baiting and fogging (see recent post by Garth) are the way to go. One of the biggest misconceptions in lawn care is kill the grubs to get rid of moles. It is a sure fire way to seperate the the want-to-be's from the pros. Ric's statement on moles is right on, controlling the food source is not the way to go.

10. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

you got to be kidding :rolleyes: