How do ya charge?

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by gogetter, Jan 15, 2001.

1. gogetter

gogetter Banned

How do you guys charge for snow removal?
    By the inch?
    By the hour?
    By some other means I'm not thinking of?
    Thanks in advance.

Jonathan E.

2. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

By the season.

The majority of our contracts are fixed seasonal rates with open PO salt.

With a heavy winter, we make the $ on salting. With a light winter, we have all the fixed contract income.

Stay away from contract pricing without salt, too much risk.

3. frogman

frogman LawnSite Member

What does open PO salt mean?
    Thanks,
    Bob

4. I find a lot of infos by doing a search with keyword like: price, contract, hour, inch....this tool is very helpful !

Your rates will also depend first of your annual average snowfall, the equipments you will use and your area market.

[Edited by 4 Saisons on 01-15-2001 at 11:41 PM]

5. Kent Lawns

from Midwest

Bob,
    Open PO: Open Purchase Order. That's what we call it when we have the discretion to salt as much and as often as we (the contractor) deem necessary.

On some accounts it's just common sense and other accounts are reluctant to give you full authority. Either way, I feel it's key to the real profitable work.

6. frogman

frogman LawnSite Member

Thanks Kent,
    That clears it up. I figured that it was open purchase order but have always thought that to mean (in the military) that I, as a consumer, have the discretion to purchase items without authorization. 'Never realized that it put the decision in the service provider's hands.
    I've got a couple of questions abut an existing contract that I have and would like to talk #s. Maybe it would be more appropriate to discuss them in another forum. Would you mind if I e-mail you with them?

Bob

7. Rcgm

Rcgm LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

I always bid my lot's by the size and inches 2-4 then 4-6 and above six is at my descretion.I always include sidewalks in the price and rock salt at 30.00 per 50lb and 45.00 for calcium a 50lb.But remeber guys I live in Indiana and the biggest snow so far was 4 1/2 inches.

8. Kent Lawns

from Midwest

If you really need help in formulating business systems for snow removal-- including a bidding structure, etc.-- you would be wise to join the Snow & Ice Management Association (SIMA) which provides key building blocks for business systems as well as seasoned expertise on running a snow business.

9. frogman

frogman LawnSite Member

I am a SIMA member. I've seen the contract forms and have been monitoring the forum (since it went online last week). I appreciate your time Kent.

Bob

[Edited by frogman on 01-16-2001 at 07:36 PM]

10. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith LawnSite Senior Member

You might want to try posting that same question about pricing there frogman. Remember, you have to register to post in the forum, even after registering at the site.

~Chuck