1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How do ya seal new tires?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by brettmc, Mar 19, 2003.

1. brettmc

brettmc Banned

I just put new rear tires on my Scag 48 WB, Carlisle's in the same size (13 650 nhs, I think). N-E-Way, I can't get them to seal and hold air. I put 8 ozs. of Silver Streak tire gunk/sealer in each tire. Aired em up and flat in 3 minutes. I put 8 more ozs. of Silver Streak in each tire. Aired em up and flat in 2 hours. The directions call for 11 ozs. in each tire and it does say it seals bead leaks and puncutres up to 1/4". Yeah right!! I guess I'm gonna try and find some bead sealer/tire glue and try again after work today. Do you guys think this will work or should I try sumpn else? I tried to save a little money by mounting them myself and it looks like I'm gonna spend more trying to seal them than I spent on the tires themselves!!!
  2. Alan Bechard

Alan Bechard LawnSite Member

Where are they leaking from? Air the tire up and take a spray bottle of 409 or other type foaming soap and see where the air is coming out at. I keep a bottle with a bit of dish soap in it and mostly water, spray the tire down, let it sit a bit and you will find almost all leaks very quickly.

You should not need any tire sealer on a new tire to make it seal.

My bet is valve stem or rusty / unsmooth rim bead area.

Good luck.

Al Bechard
  3. Westbrooklawn

Westbrooklawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have found that "Slime" (brand name), works much better than any other type of tire sealant.
  4. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

did you bent the rims trying to take the old tires off, or putting the new ones on? i doesnt take much to damage the lip that seals the bead.
  5. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

If the old tires were holding air, the new tires should hold air.
    From what your saying...the air goes in and the pressure holds for about 3 min.
    Do what Al said and make sure you put new valve stems in. Less than a buck each.
    Good luck
  6. brettmc

brettmc Banned

I've got new cores in the valves. I know it's a bead leak cause when I first aired up the tires I could hear the leak. I got some bead sealer at lunch today. Gonna try that and see what happens.
  7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

This may sound funny, but did you inflate the tire enough (~70 psi) to seat the bead? (Multiple loud POP-POP's) Did you use a bead butter and swab, or dry? Unless your rims are rusty or severely bent you shouldn't have any trouble seating a bead. They ARE tubeless rims, right?
  8. Alan Bechard

Alan Bechard LawnSite Member

I would suggest that if you have a bead leak, you remove the tires, clean the bead on the wheel thouroughly, I use a wire wheel on a 4 1/2" grinder, repaint, let dry thouroughly and then remount.

Bead sealer is normally a "patch" used to get the customer out the door, if the leak is being caused by rust (what I normally run into) you are just delaying the problem, and it will re-occur at the worst possible moment.

My 2 cents for what it is worth, but I like the motto that was on my schools Hanger wall,

If you do not have time to do it right the first time, where will you find the time to do it over?

Al B

PS, I like and use slime myself, better than the others in my opinion, but mine is put in with the intention of getting them through the day with a thorn or nail or such stuck in the tire.

Al B
  9. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I have found more than once that if you overinflate a tire it will sometimes cause a leak. I recently replaced the tires on some spare front caster wheels for a Lazer and they deflated overnight. I did it again, this time being careful to hit 13psi and they were fine.

Also check to see if you damaged the bead or the rims while mounting them. Do you have proper mounting tools?

btw, Northern Tool and equipment had a mounting tool kit on sale for about $30 this winter, they may still have them. Pays for itself in saved time and money really fast. I've changed 4 tires with it already. I've seen similar ones in catalogs for much more.
  10. lsylvain

lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member

after you air it up next time dunk the tire in a tub of water and find out where the air is leaking from. You may have just gotten some damaged tires.

Are you getting the bead on the tire all the way. Sometimes one side will stick just enough to hold air but not seat properly. If this is the case you will need to put some added pressure in the tire until it pops out onto the rim.

If all else fails go to a tire place they will put them on for a couple bucks if anything at all.