How do y'all get up/over curbs?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FIRESCOOBY, May 23, 2006.

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a Hustler Mini-Z.

I do (along with another LCO) a school system. It has several islands and lots of curbing. I've been using 4x4 posts with a 2x4 layed in front to get up and over the curbs. My mower will not get over the curbs without it. Some shorter curbs are ok, but most I'll get hung up.

Anyone have any ideas that might work better. Carrying the lumber around while doing the islands and getting off to put it down, then getting off the straighten before coming off, then getting off to pick it up wastes alot of time.

Thanks in advance.
  2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Just raise the deck and slowly "jump" them by easing the Z up one tire at a time at an angle......SLOWLY.
  3. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

First, I back up to the curb at a slight angle (but mostly perpendicular to the curb \ ). I climb the curb w/ the left rear tire first, then follow w/ the right rear. Once this is done, I do the same w/ the front tires. That is the technique my dealer taught me.

If my rear frame won't clear the curb w/o getting hung up, I do the same technique, but start w/ the front instead of the back.
  4. MysticLandscape

MysticLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a curb jumper for my walker, but I dont need to use it too often, its better as a foot rest and just looks cool.
  5. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

Got any pictures of that? I hava a walker & have to go all the way around to the front which takes forever!
  6. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

the walker ramps are $100 or more. real nice. got one on each truck.
  7. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Raise the deck... Most mowers go up to 4.5 to 5 inches, and if it's too tall of a curb to go ofer straight then go at an angle as others have described.

Depends on the curbs too, have to have a little bit of angle to them and rounded on the top. if they are just squared and straight (flat) on the front, then I can see where the problem lies...

For my little walker I built a ramp so I can get into one lawn that has a 8 inch or so drop off into the back yard off the patio. Those "rampparts" or whatever they are called could be used on the ends of a couple 3 or 4 foot long 2x6's. That would make them light and easy to throw around and would be better about staying in place.
  8. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

would it be possible to put down a blacktop ramp, at the school's expense? our school has it's own maitenence team and that's what they did. they paid the town to come in and make ramps in the blacktop for the mowers to get up. P.S. they don't use ZTR's they use older gravley tractors that are built like tanks, they also have the deck extension that adds 50 inches to the cutting swath. their 4x4 john deere is so big that it could go up the stairs if they wanted too.