How do you adjust the deck on fixed deck mowers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by thesargent, Feb 20, 2007.

1. thesargent

thesargent LawnSite Senior Member

Just curious how you adjust height on fixed deck mowers like the exmark viking. are floating decks easier? thanks.
  2. AAXteriors

AAXteriors LawnSite Member

I think you move the spacer rings on the front caster supports to give it more or less height.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

There are 3 ways to adjust the cutting height...raise/lower the rear axle setting, reconfigure the blade spacers, or reconfigure the front caster spacers. Normally you would want to leave the rear axle at a good setting where you can raise or lower the front casters within your normal range of cutting heights. There's a chart in the manual that gives you all the different configurations.
  4. thesargent

cool thanks. so is it a pain in the butt, how long does it take. i read that the Quick36 adjusts very easily and pretty fast. thanks

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

With any fixed deck it's easy to adjust the front casters, you just take off the pin and pull the wheel off and move a spacer or two up or down...maybe 10 seconds per wheel. It's really not a big issue.
  6. thesargent

right on sounds good, thanks for your time.
  7. dhardin53

dhardin53 LawnSite Senior Member

My Bunton fixed deck has a long bolt going through the spindle. All i have to do is move spaces from the bottom of the blade and it raises the blade when bolted on, thats for small adjustments. For a large move up or down the deck itself has 3 sets of hole the the total deck can move to, then the front wheels have the shafts and spacers to set the blade pitch.

I have not used it much yet but I think I will like it when its time to shapen the blades. All I have to do is impact rench the top nut on each blade, and the bolt, spacers and blabe drops to the ground. Then I push down on the handel bars and the blade is off laying on the ground, ready to be sharpened. While I have the front up I push it onto a jack stand to hold it up, so I can re insert the bolt/blade unit.
  8. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

To adjust the rear axle on a fixed deck mower, it takes about 1/2 an hour to an hour. Its not that hard of a process but if you need to adjust frequently, save the trouble and get a floating deck machine.