How do you advertise?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by kawasaki guy, Nov 27, 2012.

1. kawasaki guy

kawasaki guy LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S. New Jersey

Hi everyone :waving:

I am curious,
    How did you get your clients? word of mouth, lots of business cards, postcards, internet, or what?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  2. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

Bidding, word of mouth and knowing the right people.

3. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Yellow page ad and word of month only.

4. jonthepain

jonthepain LawnSite Senior Member
    from Raleigh

I get 80% from the website and the rest from word of mouth or neighbors.

Fall 2011 I spent $800 on google adwords and picked up $4000 new aeration and overseedings. Did not use adwords this fall but still had a full schedule.

5. kawasaki guy

kawasaki guy LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S. New Jersey

thanks for all of the replies! keep them coming ! :)

6. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

Word of mouth, directmail postcards, cold calling, lettered trucks and trailers.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. jonthepain

jonthepain LawnSite Senior Member
    from Raleigh

yes i remember picking up at least one account from somebody who read the truck lettering while getting gas at the next pump.

several years ago we used to hang brochures on doorknobs in a neighborhood after finishing up a lawn. got one that way but it seemed like a lot of work for just one account.

might have been a crappy brochure, i don't know

8. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

A big thing ive learned is networking is key. Im doing the interior demolition on three buildings for a buddy who does renovations. I refer him an he does the same.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. WJC

WJC LawnSite Senior Member

I ran a small 1" ad in the yellowpages for the first 4yrs then I got rid of the ad. Most of my customers are from the ad. But the yellowpages are fazing out these days, I think more people use the internet. All I have now is my website and pay $15 a month to be found with search engines. With the yellowpage ad I was getting every tomdickandharry calling me to sell something to me, but it wasnt like that in the begining.

10. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Gold Member

Seems like internet is popular, So....- How do you get your website noticed more??? I personally have had good luck with word of mouth, getting out there, and being consistent ( showing up when your supposed too:hammerhead:) I picked up a customer last week for next season due to the fact i do a nice job every time im at the neighbors house, and dont have a huge ZTR lol