how do you all get the new customers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jeff_0, Feb 24, 2003.

1. jeff_0

jeff_0 LawnSite Senior Member
    from md

I'm new to the business. (well doing it for myself) and i wanted to know where most people get there new customers from. I advertised in the yellow pages last year and got a good amount of calls. I wanted to know where other people have gotten there calls from.

2. Awilkinson

Awilkinson LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Jeff-
    For me, the best source was a local real estate agency. I sent a fliers to them about offering service for vacant properties that they had listed. This led to an extreme about of work! The only down sided is that you might only have the property for a couple of weeks until it sells. But then, if the job is good, I have had several new owners continue service once they are moved in.
    Another approach is to put your current customers to work for you.
    For instance: I sent each of my customers 10 coupons a piece. The coupon is good for 20 % off two services if scheduled for all season. Once a customer has handed out (or gotten me ten new customers) I give them (the old customer) 50% off their service for the entire season. This has tripled the size of my business. Just some food for thought!:angel:

3. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

Door hangers have always worked great for us. It is cheap and you can target the areas you want to work.

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Networking!

5. precisionlawn

precisionlawn LawnSite Senior Member

I was also thinking about talking to real estate companies. Like said before, it might only be a couple weeks. However that is still positive cash flow coming in, and I'm sure that SOME of the new owners will stay with your service. Other than that try the pennysaver or a small local newspaper. I've had an add in for 2 weeks so far, and i think it is still kinda early, given all the snow we had, and I have still got 7 calls. A close friend of the family recently told me to get your name KNOWN. Get it out there in as many places possible in anyway, charitable events, fundraisers, etc. He is an old man, but i see him not as old, but wise. So I am going to try and do some of the things he was telling me, this summer. I'll see how it works for the years to come.
    He finished with, and I quote

"In this, and almost every business, Yesterday is a cancelled check: tommorrow is a promissory note; today is the only cash you have- spend it wisely"

You can take that anyway you like, but what I make of it is that basically take your money and build off of it. Put it in the business. In other put your money to work for you. But thats only what I take off it.

6. precisionlawn

precisionlawn LawnSite Senior Member

What I meant by "put it in the business" is, i.e. advertising, equiptment, and sponsoring different community events, etc.