How do you all like the I90 by Hunter?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Instant Rain, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Instant Rain

Instant Rain LawnSite Member

I'm looking at replacing about 36 impact rotors on a group of soccer fields. I got a price of just under $70 each for hunter I90 rotors. What do you all think of the I90? I like the other rotors by Hunter, just haven't ever seen the I90 in action. Also any suggestions for other non-impact "big gun" rotors would be appreciated.

2. JB926

JB926 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Toro 2001 heads with the stainless steel riser. I have had very good experiences with these heads so far

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

What are the original impact rotors? Most of them are rebuildable forever, and some of them will outdistance the I-90 by a fair amount.

4. Instant Rain

Instant Rain LawnSite Member

Most of the heads are Royal Coach, some Weathermatic. These heads require too much maintenance. Most of the time they are fine after the grass is cleaned out of them. Every time I test that system at least three heads are not turning and there is a huge muddy area. I have used 10 Bear 870 rotors with the 1 1/2" inlet last year and almost half of the adjustable ones stuck to the far right or left. I don't want to install the I90's only to find that they are junk.

5. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

As far as I know I-90's use the same gear drive mechanism as the I-20 and PGP.

I've used them in a few large park installs and they work wonderfully.

They also are quite, and look great.

6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, you almost want them to all be the same head, so you can have some spares to rebuild without having too much stock. (and you do have to pull the guts of the old impacts, and change out washers and springs and so on)

Most of the big sprinklers I see in older systems are Rainbird impacts in the cast iron cases, and Toro 650 series golf course heads, and, for the well heeled, Thompson gear drive rotors, which may yet live in some different form than the indestructible bronze and cast iron sprinkler of yesteryear.

thompson_sprinkler_head.jpg