1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How do you all use Preen?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by pattytastik, Aug 29, 2011.

1. pattytastik

pattytastik LawnSite Senior Member

I have read the label but I want to here how you all use it. Do you apply prior and after a mulch job? (under the mulch and on top). How often do you use it?

I have a new client that has weeds popping up in her mulch and she wants me to take care of it. Should I pull the existing weeds and THEN apply Preen?

2. gsaunders5

gsaunders5 LawnSite Member

I apply on the dirt, water it in good and then apply on top of the mulch also. I have very good luck with doing it that way. Look for the big bag or I buy it in the 20Lb container for $25.50. Better than $15.00 for 5lb. Good Luck!
  3. Barrett Landscaping

Barrett Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

using preen is for homeowners. use treflawn. it is much more powerful and a 40lb bag does 20,000 sq/ft or something.
  4. Snapshot is what you should be using
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. shade tree landscaping

shade tree landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

second vote for snapshot! its a premerge though, if you have weeds coming up its to late. Here in NJ we apply it early/mid april depending on weather/temp
  6. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

The original poster is 17..........I dont believe he is able to purchase snapshot, freehand,etc. unless he is licensed!! Yes, Preen.....aka. Treflan(Trifluralin) and is sold to homeowners as a basic weed control method for flower beds and container grown plants.

Josh lawn care,
    To be more specific, the correct method of application is to bare-weed free soil prior to mulch application. Water in with 1/2 inch of water or irrigation to make it work. This product will last at least 8 weeks under normal conditions.
  7. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

And/or Ronstar G, Showcase or Freehand. Trifluralin covers a very limited spectrum of weeds. I remember once having to educate a co worker from the East coast as to why I never ever used Treflan or Preen in landscape beds. That is because the Treflan would allow any kind of weed that was not an annual grass to come up. Dinitroaniline herbicides like Preen are best on crabgrass or foxtail, but not so strong on the kinds of weeds that have broad leaves and develop 3 foot tall seed heads.
  8. Yea, broadleaves are about 50% of bedding weeds that I deal with. Getting the best overall control is top priority. Snapshot also covers stuff that is not on the label.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  9. Mxrider52

Mxrider52 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

What can I use to maintain weeds in a garden with blackberries, raspberries, and grapes?
  10. jiggz

jiggz LawnSite Senior Member
    from jerz

corn gluten meal