How do you approach them ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bunton Guy, Aug 27, 2002.

1. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

Post you’re most successful things you say when you approach a property owner (commercial) here is the scenario

1.You pass by a pottery store that looks like the shrubs haven’t been trimmed lately and the lawn is a bit long (6-8") you walk inside and ask the person at the counter for the manager or the store owner what would you say when the guy walks up to you.

What has been your most successful go getter spiel.

Scenario: 2. What would you say if the property looks like it is being maintained up to your normal standards but you want to find out if they are interested in receiving a bid for the new season or currently may not be happy with there L&L co.

This is meant to help everyone out to use this for your own company not meant to start any arguments and these are not to be for judging each other. Stictly your opinion on what you have done that works.

2. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

for the small commercial--my message starts simple. it's the same in both cases regardless the appearance of their grounds:

here I am. here's WHO I am. Here is WHAT I want to do for you as I give him/her my card.

never be afraid to cold call. it pays off.

but use some common sense. don't hit the manager of a steak house up at lunch time. he aint got time to talk to you then!

for large commercial bids--the purchasing agent will usually just give you a bid package or a proposal request or you may not ever even see anyone but the secretary.

good luck.

GEO

3. Bunton Guy

I know alot others have ideas let us all know !

4. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

I always ask if they would mind if I submit a proposal. Most say sure go ahead. I mail them a bid,copy of workmens comp., liability insur. cert. copy of pest/herb cert and my card. I then do another visit with my proposal in hand about a week later.Carry pictures of your work as well as a list of references.Do a walk around with the owner/mgr. If they don't accept at that time, I stop by a week later for a quick visit,one last chance to close them.My next contact is either midseason or prior to the start of a new season.Always take notes during your visits make sure you speak to them by their name.Remember things they have mentioned, names of their kids,baseball,bowling, whatever and ask about them.If it's a large contract then lunch is always an option.

5. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

Steve has a great approach.

Being upfront and forward, in a tactful and professional way is going to get you work. If you sit back and expect referrals and your work to speak for itself, you are going to miss out on a lot of opportunities.

Word of mouth is great, but if you see a property you want to take care of, go for it....

Overall a polite, courteous, professional approach is going to get you noticed, especially compared to others who may be bidding on the property.

6. rats5656

rats5656 LawnSite Member

hey steve can wee see what you send them as a prposal for them to read andf sign

7. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

I'll email you a copy of one of our proposals.

8. Bunton Guy

Who do you guys generally ask for when you go up to a factory,or any other commercial property ?

9. Hodge

Hodge LawnSite Senior Member

Steve,

Can you also send me a copy of the proposal sheet?:D