How do you avoid border tracks?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by indy2tall, Aug 13, 2006.

1. indy2tall

indy2tall LawnSite Senior Member

How do you avoid border tracks on properties that you have done for 3 or more years? Now I am not talking along a street or sidewalk which are easy to avoid. I am talking about areas that you have to at least run one pass the same way every time such as along the edge of a lake or between two houses or along a fence line.

2. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

You really cant avoid them. It's one of the drawbacks of using a large mower I suppose.

3. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

From time to time, I run the trimmer at full string length and make two or three passes. Just enough to get the tires out of the tracks.:)

4. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

I thought about this some more... maybe make a pass or three with a 21"er every couple of weeks? Just enough to throw-off the need to tramp down the exact same path over and over.

5. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

all you have to do is one week go as close as possible to the perimeter, then next week go double the tire width out, then the next week go 2 more tire widths out, then back to as close as possible.

You probably don't even have to change it up every week.

Of course that will require extra trimming with the line trimmer or 21.

The other thing is to use a different width mower on the trim cut.

example if you cut with a 52" ZTR but carry a 36" WB for back yards, then EOW run the perimeter cut with the WB.