How do you bid 15 Acres??

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by wrestlingcoach, Jan 11, 2004.

1. wrestlingcoach

wrestlingcoach LawnSite Senior Member

I have a meeting on Wednesday to bid lawn care for a major company in Tulsa ( the main site is roughly 30 acres big and is half is well groomed and the otherhalf is hay field & then there is another site 5 miles away about 10 acres.). What questions do I need to ask since this is the first time for something this major? They want some landscaping, lawn mowing, trimming and weed control. I assume I need to ask how much liability coverage I need and that sort, WHAT ELSE??? This Could be some major money at least for my partner & I. Also what kind of contract???? I just passed my pesticides test and waiting on the paper work.

2. GrazerZ

GrazerZ LawnSite Senior Member

Heres what I would do. walk the site with the customer paying careful attention to anything out of the ordinary that could cost you extra time. ask question that will draw out what they expect from you as far as , level of quality, any areas that get special attention, seasonal color, any areas they have been unhappy with, etc... don't even breath a word about your" just "getting your pesticide lic. Try to be the "ultimite professional" . As far as liability coverage, you should already have it. Here in ME its required in order to get your lic. Just before you finish with the site manager be sure to let him know that you will be going back through on your own to measure the site and review it again since it will take you extra time. And always thank them for there time. As far as how much to charge, breakdown the job into its most basic parts, invetory those parts and then carefully figure your pricing acordingly. and remember to never sell yourself short on such a large job just because it looks like alot of money. you could also loose your shirt,pants,underwear, well you get the picture. hope this has helped at least some.

3. wrestlingcoach

thanks for the info , still trying to find Insurance in OK that will cover pesticides

4. weedmaster

weedmaster LawnSite Member

I charge $200 an acre per app. here in Okc. I am also in my first year and landed a 6 acre business park but I knew the guy personally (uncle) so that is a great oppurtunity for someone who just passed there test. I would find a couple of independent guys that do big areas and ask them what they charge per acre. Also see if they are willing to mentor you a little and give you there recipes for each app. Good Luck! I found a guy who is doing this for me as well as giving me lawns!:)

5. weedmaster

Horton Insurance in OKC is covering me but I am switching to State Farm.

6. wrestlingcoach

hey thanks, i'll try state farm

7. weedmaster

No good State Farm said no!

8. Kevind

Kevind LawnSite Member

Nationwide gave me insurance the first year for a decent rate. Statefarm also said no to me in the begining.