1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How do you bill your clients?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowin4cash, Jan 2, 2001.

1. Mowin4cash

Mowin4cash LawnSite Member

Just wondering how some of you bill your commercial clients. Say for instance you have a hospital. A large property of about 15 acres. Parking lots have to be cleaned, shrubs cut, grass mowed, chemicals, fert and seed, the whole nine yards. Would it be better to just figure everything together and divide by 12 and bill monthly, or bill at the end of the month for actual services provided. Right now I bill monthly for the 12 equal payments, is real nice now that winter is here, but during the busy season, it seems like I lose my butt.
  2. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

You're getting the same amount of money, so what real difference does it make?

In our company, I try to structure our contract "ala carte" that includes a billing mid-month for all scheduled services. I find it easier to sell a base package and easily add upsell services.

Certainly everyone has their own system and most have good merits.
  3. jay

jay LawnSite Member

If your doing extras such as fert., spraying weeds etc. that arn't in your agreement you should bill for them at the end of the month after you figure your labor cost and materials. If you have a yearly contract with them that says youll do all this work for them each month or as needed then you can figure up a sum to bill each month by adding up the material and labor youll need for the whole year then dividing by twelve. If I do any seeding I don't figure that on a yearly basis though because it can change all the time unless your talking about overseeding once a year. Rember that spring and summer will bring in more work and you need to figure that in too. Don't forget to figure in the months with five weeks also. I think this was what you were asking for.
  4. KindGardener

KindGardener LawnSite Member

You mentioned mid-month billing - basic services. Do you have a monthly or an annual agreeement? How do you sell the extras - do you just do them & bill? Call them on the phone?

Huntington Beach, CA
  5. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

We do the monthly billing year round. For additional services we bill those in the month that they occurred. Customers don't mind this and you get your money at the time you do the job and not 4 months later.
  6. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

I don't bill yr round. I bill every month, and stick that money thats left over after bills, and all in the bank. Its on a 5.4 intrest magagement acct. Id rather it be drawing intrest than billing 12mo. It works for me and i have plenty to last me till nest season. Marks Mowing Service