1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How Do You Bill?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by stevesmowing, Sep 11, 2007.

Do you average your billing over x number of months?

1. No, the work done each month is billed for that month

37 vote(s)
  2. Yes, Over The Course Of 6 Months

1 vote(s)
  3. Yes, Over The Course Of 8 Months

1 vote(s)
  4. Yes, Over The Course Of 10 Months

0 vote(s)
  5. Yes, Over The Course Of 12 Months

2 vote(s)
  1. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

The idea for this poll was sparked by the thread http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=199836

I am curious if people bill for the work done each month or if they average it out over x number of months and have the same price each month.
  2. Espacesverts

Espacesverts LawnSite Member

For three years I do bill with the same price per month. But it's my last year with that. I will go back to basic and charge per mow and send them a bill each month. With that I won't be loosing anything.
  3. gandk06

gandk06 LawnSite Senior Member

I bill each month for all work done that month. I feel that is fair to me and to the customer.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Like I mentioned in the other thread, I bill all new customers a flat rate. Customers that signed up in '05 or earlier are still per cut mostly except for a few converts.

What I've learned over the years, you can't control the weather, but you CAN control when and how much you get paid, either by credit cards or autodrafting from checking accounts. Or you can just let yourself be at the mercy of the customer...only work when they want you to, and only get paid when they get around to it...
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I bill per service, every time I come out I leave a bill.
    If they wish to pay monthly they need to own the home first, if that's all fine then they can send me a check for the total bills I left.

To me it's all about pre-screening, this I find prevents most of the deadbeats, I don't know of any other guarantees that I'll get paid.
    So as of yesterday all credit risks (red flags) pay upfront and the price is slightly higher as well.
    That or someone else can stick their neck out, evidently credit record issues, judgements and liens don't bother these folk.
    And even if it does, I'm tired of wasting my time chasing after deadbeat skirts and coat tails, more so when to at least some of them bill evasion is an art form they take pride in perfecting :laugh:
  6. Bill S

Bill S LawnSite Member

We do a mixture of both plus we offer a pre pay discount for our maintenance clients. With our clients that choose to pay as they go, billing is done every other week with invoices due on receipt. Keeps cash flow rolling better this way. No need to mow for 4 weeks, invoice then wait 30 days for the money. That is a disaster!
  7. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

I bill on the first of every month and it is for all the previous's months work.
  8. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

I hate doing work one month. Sending out the bill at the end and then waiting to get paid. Right now this is what I do though. It would take too much time to send out bills every other week as we mow about 100 different properties.
  9. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

Usually on the last cut of the month I drop off their bill for that month. I charge by the cut for now. In winter, I usually drop off the bills between the 15th and the 21st, depending when I work.

due upon receipt.
  10. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L LawnSite Member

I bill each month, but I have thought about averaging it out over a set period of time.