How Do You Blend Turfgrass Seed?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Busto963, Nov 9, 2006.

1. Busto963

Busto963 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

How do you mix different turfgrass seeds together?

Lesco no longer markets the "midwest" version of its Premium Athletic Blend, and I need a plan for two lawns. Two of the "missing" cultivars are still available "Hallmark KBG" and "Shademark Red Fescue".

I know how to figure the mixture proportions, but how do you blend them without damaging the seed or getting an uneven mix? I know I could reload the slit seeder and make a pass with the other cultivar, but that would be a pain as I will have already made two previous passes.

Ideas?

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

You don't have to use the slitseeder to put down a different seed. Just broadcast a cultivar before doing the slitseeding. If it's going to be slitseeded anyway, it's all the same. As long as that seed is thrown down, it will get worked in with the slitseeder and find it's way into the grooves. This atleast will ensure a consistent coverage.

3. TURFLORD

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

When your done slitseeding with one seed, just use a spreader to app. the second seed over the top of the area and use a upside down spring rake to work it into the slits. On a larger area I've used a piece of chain link fence dragged behind the rider to work it in. Like you said, it has to be in a way that doesn't beat the seed to death. Does your slitseeder have the hopper in front? I've seed some models like that and can't understand why there would be such a thing.

4. Busto963

Busto963 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Slit seeding the seed mix, then broadcast seeding the "missing" cultivar, and finishing up with a chainlink fence or rake sounds viable. But it is extra work.

It should not be too bad for two 1/4 acre lawns (my spring project) - but what about larger plots? I know that one day I am going to have to do much larger yards, and there has to be a way to do the job in two passes versus three.

Ideas?

5. TURFLORD

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

If you really had to mechanically mix the two seeds together, you could just use two coffee cans or something and pour the seeds together into another container. For a 1/4 acre lawn your not talking about alot. By the time your actually done handling the seed, it should be well blended. The producers don't do it much differently. For a larger prop. you could use a tractor towed implement. I've done yards up to about 1.5 acres with a push model. Never had need of a tractor. It takes longer, but you can't have everything you want all the time. I normally don't use the hoppers. I like to spread separately. Those hoppers are always plugging up when its wet.