HOW DO YOU BREAK YOUR NUTS LOOSE?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowman, Sep 14, 2000.

1. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

Spent 2 hours in the ER room after wrench let loose on a stubborn nut. Only 4 stiches, thank god. Do any of you use an air impact? My neighbor loaned me one tonight and just one bump on the trigger and the nut finally let lose. I only tighten them with my ratchet but they just seem to get tighter than I put them on. Thanks for your input. Mowman

2. UrbanEarth

UrbanEarth LawnSite Member

An impact is on my Christmas list! Definitely the way to go.

On really stubborn nuts, I always try and use a socket and breaker bar. I find they tend not to slip as much, but ya still have to be careful!

Alan

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Are you talking about your blade spindles? I use a MAC torque bar. Safest bet.

4. davesgs75

davesgs75 LawnSite Member

Wrenched sliped on me to, 13 sticthes. bought and air compressor and impact wrench. no more stitches, and like you said just a bump and the blades fall off. how did i ever survive with out it.

5. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

If your impact won't do it, remember the words of the scientist:

"Give me a place to stand and I could lift the world."

Leverage.

Put a 4' peice of 1" pipe over a breaker bar and you easily either loosen the bolt or shear it off. A 150lb guy could apply 600ft/lbs. of torque.

6. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Just think I spent $150 on a sears compressor and $100 for gun and accesories, what was your medical bill!!! Its the safest and easest way as they siad above.

7. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I hate to admit but it took me cutting my thumb on a blade to break down and buy an air compressor. It makes removing blades,a snap. Live and learn, I guess.

8. jason2

jason2 LawnSite Member

If you don't want to spend the cash for a compressor, try an electric impact. I have both air and electric impact's. For breaking loose the spindle nuts I always use the electric, for the simple fact that it's faster, don't have to drag out the air hose.

9. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Air is the only way to go weather it be blade bolts, filling tires, cleaning out air filters, or those stuburn bolts.

10. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

Impact gun. Why fight them nuts. Great for rotateing tires on the truck also.