1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How do you camouflage risers?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Critical Care, Jul 11, 2005.

1. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I know, this is a weird question, but I’m wondering how some of you have camouflaged or disguised sprinkler risers? Grey schedule 80 isn’t too pretty, nor is the typical white pvc that some people use as risers.

The reason I’m asking is that at my own place I have a nice landscaped area around a pond and waterfall, lots of shrubs and plants, but a few ugly grey risers sticking up – which is the only thing I don’t like when I look out over the pond.

I’m however considering something a bit radical by running one or two MP rotators up a couple of the pine trees, about ten feet up, and then have these little rotors do a "rain like" thing over the pond area. Cosmetically how would you hide a ten-foot high grey, black, or white “riser”?
  2. kerdog

kerdog LawnSite Member

How about 'sweating' some rigid copper, for those risers around the pond/waterfall.....?

No suggestions for the tree, other than 'hiding' some poly on the back side, out of the line of site.

3. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

Use a piece of copper, slip it over your plastic, or spray it with that new plastic paint, light green or dark...the copper looks best as it weathers..
  4. F6Hawk

F6Hawk LawnSite Member

Gray PVC, painted to match the tree. Get creative, and you can camo the pipe. If you want to get real close, take a piece of bark to a local paint store, and you can get an exact match.
  5. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I don't understand people who use non sunlight resistant pipe for risers.

is it at all possible to use 12" pops instead of risers? I think thats the ultimate solution.
  6. Critical Care

Heh, the risers I currently have will probably be here long after I'm gone JonHolland, and I've found that most risers are very simple to replace. This area is under the pines, mostly shaded, and doesn't get harse sunlight. Out of curiosity, I wonder what qualifies as "sunlight resistant pipe"? Just sorta figure that UV rays will do a number to practically all pvc or poly.

And yeah, F6Hawk, I was thinking about taking some bark down and having some paint matched, but this brings up the question of the type of paint. My wife tried to paint a large 50 gallon plastic or pvc bio filter but it sure didn't take long before the paint began to flake off.

And I agree that copper weathers nice and can be part of the landscape art, however as this is an all natural area I'm leaning towards invisible rather than visible - if that makes sense. But I'll leave this option open as well...
  7. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Rustolium has come out with a new paint for outdoor plastic,pvc stuff .Look at the cans close they have red on the label and bright lawn furniture on the front.This paint is just what you need .
    I painted a white heavy plastic table green and a few other things brown and went thru 2 years so far no problems with peeling or chipping,Rustolium and Krylon might have come out wtih it by now too.Where you been man??
  8. Critical Care

Don't remember what paint my wife used on the bio filter but it wasn't Rustolium. Sounds like maybe you're talking about a spray paint. Wonder if they have a "ponderosa pine brown" color?
  9. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

They have all kinds of colors and this paint has only been in stores about 1&1/2 yrs.It is a spray but they have it in brush kind too.
  10. drmiller100

drmiller100 LawnSite Senior Member

funny pipe is sunlight resistant and smaller diameter..... might be easier to hide on a tree...... the mp rotators throw water up a long ways. would they have enuff rise on them to where you could a lower riser?