How Do You Change Mower Blade On Site?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Gemini1971, Aug 27, 2006.

1. Gemini1971

Gemini1971 LawnSite Member

How do you folks that need to change a mower blade on site do it? I've not owned a commercial mower yet so please don't piss yourselves with laughter OK? hehehehe.. Thanks!

2. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

The old fashioned wrenches way works. I personally have a cordless impact wrench that is a great invention. Just a cheap one will work. I think I paid $179 for it at harbor freight tools. No need for a dewalt for just using it for blades and flat tires once in a while.
  3. rider

rider LawnSite Member
    from ohio

pop it up on the trailer side so it hangs over,parking brake on or will roll, two wrenches, boxend and a breaker bar with socket
  4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Pop it up with the Junglejack, rap the blades off with the portable impact, and put the new blades back on. the wole process takes about 2 to 3 minutes from the start time of unloading to putting the stuff away.
  5. Mow"N"Bud

Mow"N"Bud LawnSite Member

All the commercial mowers I use have 15/16" bolt heads and nuts, so in my trailer toolbox I have (2) 1/2" drive breaker bars and (2) 15/16 sockets for the blade change. Just for FYI in addition to these I have a full tool set, because IMO, Murphys Law hasn't been repealed and if it can go wrong it will. Getting mowers up and running is one very important key to success in this business.
  6. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

I use a jungle jack to raise the mower up and then use a 1/2 " snap-on ratchet with a 4" extension and socket to take the blades on and off. I use a piece of scrap 2x4 to hold the blades still. I use a snap-on 1/2" impact gun at my shop to take them off. For the guys that use a cordless impact, do you keep a socket and ratchet set for when the battery goes dead? I'm sure I would forget to charge the battery up.
  7. TeeBox

TeeBox LawnSite Member

I have a Z Stand on my Toro and cordless impact...Works great...

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

the Z's all had Z Stand, works great. All W/B's you could just pick up the front, we had jack stands on every truck. All the trucks had full tool kits so we were sure to have the right tool

And don't forget to carry the blades:laugh:
  9. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

1/2" snap on long handled ratchet and a chunk of 2 x 4 to block the blades. i pull up on the trailer ramp sideways with the back end on the ground and chock the rear wheels.
  10. Poncho25

Poncho25 LawnSite Senior Member

The best tool I have on my trailer!! Junglejack and a cordless impact gun, I have never had to do it on the job, but they are on there for that time just in case thing :) But seriously, the Junglejack is a MUST have!!