How do you charge for leaf removal?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by harperservices, Sep 3, 2002.

1. harperservices

harperservices LawnSite Member

Going to look at a Billy Goat leaf vac today. ($700 - $900) Leaving the old rake behind. How should I now charge. (or best method).

Met a guy today who charges $175 to show up and $10 per bag of leaves.

What's your method.

Thanks.....:waving:

2. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

First try a search i dont know if you are new and if you re not im sorry i offended you. Most guys have a set hourly rate and just price customers by the job secretly using their hour rates. Some also charge by truck load for hauling etc. Theres a lot of good reading on here so take a look.

3. LAWNS AND MOWER

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

My removal system falls in one of 3 groups. 1) Mulch the hell out of the leaves with my mowers if conditions permit. 2) Blow the leaves into the woods far enough in so they won't blow back. 3) Blow leaves to the curbside so the town can suck them up. Prices vary from group to group but average between $40 and $60/hour. good luck.

LAWNS AND MOWER

4. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

I envy you guys that can blow leaves into the street for the city to pick up. Not that way in Texas. :(

5. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

We charge per leaf:D :D

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

First of all, if you're considering a Leaf vac as an initial investment, I think you better do some reconsidering. KNOW THE OPERATION!!! I think, no, I KNOW you will find, that if you are going to spend money like that, a walk behind leaf BLOWER will be much more productive for you. A walk behind leaf vac does not do much more than a push mower that has a large bag on it. If yhou are buying some FIRST equip, do yourself a favor, and do it right the first time. The most highly recommended of these, of course, is the Little Wonder. Side by side, it will out blow the Bily Goat wb blower. You can move aLOT of leaves, and cover alot more ground faster with a wb blower. Make sure you have a good backpack blower, too. THAT'S first. Anyway, to answer the quetion, as many people charge by the hour, I always do it by the job. Always fair. Plus, if I sit down for a minute, people aren't expecting a discount x 10. Good luck with it, and I hope this helps!

7. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't believe everything someone tells you. Is the person trying to sell you the Billy Goat the same person saying he charges $175 and $10 per bag? Anyone can brag about prices but if it sounds to good to be true then most times it is not true.

8. dr grass

dr grass Banned

We charge the weekly maintenance + a small charge if there are not many leaves. i.e. if were only dumping a few times. if there are a load of leaves to take out, and were there for alot longer than if we were just cutting or sucking up a few leaves, than an hourly rate comes into play.

Shep :cool:

9. KLMlawn

KLMlawn LawnSite Senior Member

I think that it would be a good idea if those of us who are responding make it clear when and if we offer to give our "HOURLY" rates, that we stipulate as to whether or not the person responding is operating solo or has laborers with them.
    I find it hard to believe that any of you are charging $40, or even $60 per hour as an hourly rate for more than a solo operation, considering overhead, other related expenses as well as paying your help.
    I can and sometime do work solo. My hourly rate is $50 - $60 for myself, truck, trailer and equipment... and $25 - $30 additional per hour, per each additional man on the job. So in other words, if I have two other men on a job, the hourly rate would be between $100 - $120 per hour, and that applies to Hedge trimming, clean-ups, spreading mulch/topsoil ... just about anything other than set rates services per sq.ft., ie., aeration, thatching, fert. etc. .....

10. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I have to agree with Runner when he says get a good blower. I have a Dolmar (yes Dolmar) backpack blower. It's great, I can blow out an entire yard in no time. It takes care of wet leaves, sticks, and even rocks like nothing at all. I blow onto a Tarp in throw into my truck and trailer. I think I'm going to move to where I can blow them to the curb though I envy you guys. I find an hourly rate work best for me and my customers. :blob3: