How do you charge for trimming bushes?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by wherebluegrassgrows, Feb 8, 2005.

1. wherebluegrassgrows

wherebluegrassgrows LawnSite Member

I need to bid on a large commercial job. Usually I can get 5.00 on small bushes and 10.00 for medium size. I've never bid a job that had over 30 this one has 150. How do you all bid by the bush or by the hour? I would love to get this job but I don't want to lose my butt. Thanks in advance .

2. crosson lawn

crosson lawn LawnSite Member

I asume you are mowing this property also so, i would charge at least 75 per hour and guess how many hours it will take from start to finish. EX:
    mowing takes 2hr = 35per hour 70 percut
    hedges take 1.5 @ 75 = 112.5 percut
    mowing per year is 40cuts @ 70 = 2800
    Hedges 9 cuts per year @ 112.5 = 1012.5
    3812.5 / 12 = 317.70 or 320 per month

3. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

50.00- 65.00 per hr. 75 seems high but maybe not for his area.

4. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

$60-$75.hr plus dumping. Good luck getting that on a commercial bid though. :)

5. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

I charge by the hour. You guys charging per bush, do you have a minimum?

I picked up a new customer last year and when he asked how much to trim two bushes in front of his house. I told him $60, he smirked and said "are you serious, my other guy always charged me $5-$10". I explained the minimum charge and explained that I pay my employee (dedicated pruner) $20 hr and that $10 wouldn't come close to covering cost (drive time etc.) on a small job. He said no problem have at it. He said that he would have paid the other guy $60 too. He mentioned that the other guy probably failed in business solely on not knowing what to charge.

6. wherebluegrassgrows

wherebluegrassgrows LawnSite Member

Ok let me try this again. The property has 125 small shrubs like 1 1/2 gallon then about 25 bushes about 3 foot tall by 3 foot wide all are in long narrow mulched beds. How much would you charge?

7. LightningLawns

LightningLawns LawnSite Senior Member

300.00 per time your trim them.

8. crosson lawn

crosson lawn LawnSite Member

I just bid on what I am willing to do the job for so i feel good when i pull up to the job.
    Instead of dreading to do it because i don't have enough money on that job.
    I charge 35 an hour for mowing which is easy work and i will not trim bushes and hedges and wear out my arms and rake and sweat and all of that for less than 75 an hour. this is florida and it is hot man!!

9. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

$60.00 per hour and if you cant dump on site add dump fee. The problem with this bid is that you have no experience with a job this size. Bid what you consider high and if you get it, all the better.

10. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

How long will it take you to trim them? You can't possibly want us to give you a price with out knowing time involved? Take the time it takes you to do 30 (you saud you have experience with 30 bush jobs) and times that by 5, and you will have your answer.