How do you clean your gas cans?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Soupy, Feb 6, 2003.

1. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

When my gas cans start to get dirt in them I buy new ones. But now I have a shed full of dirty cans. How do I clean them? they are empty. I was thinking about just rinsing them out.

Thanks,
    Soupy

2. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

How many cans are we talking about? My cans have a built in strainer on the spout to keep dirt out. I guess rinsing them out would do the trick, but what would you do with the by product? Maybe a recycle center would take it.

3. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

I know it's not safe, but I clean out mine with gasoline. LOL

Mark

4. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I found that letting dirt get in my gas cans was inconvenient and expensive. therefore I dont allow it.

GEO

5. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

Byproduct? That's how I kill the weeds in my gravel driveway. I call it "special sauce".

6. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

Oh, man, you're looking for trouble doing that. :eek:
    Crawdad

7. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

If your "dirty" cans are dry, just rinse them out with water. Let them dry out fully, and they will be fine. Just store them with the caps removed, and they should dry out just fine. A little bit of dirt in the cans really shouldn't be a problem, as most cans have screens inside the pour spouts, and your equipment should have fuel filters on the engines.

If your cans are consistently getting really dirty, make sure you are replacing the pour spouts with caps after you use them.

I have never had to buy new cans because of dirt, so I am trying to imagine just how dirty your operation is! ;)

8. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I just rinse myne out and dump it in the rocks next to the bushes. I have had no problem doing this.

9. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Get yourself a funnel with a screen in it, put it over a empty gas can. Then take the dirty gas can and pour everything into the empty can through the funnel. I wouldn't rinse the gas cans out with water, can you say EPA violation. Besides that how much dirt can be in your gas cans.

10. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

How is the dirt getting in the cans, I've never really had that problem. I would eliminate the problem.