1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How do you cleanup while it's raining?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by swbluto, Oct 10, 2011.

1. So, I get done mowing and trimming someone's yard and I pull out the blower and try blowing the grass off the sidewalks. No go. It's sticking like bubblegum to someone's braces.

I tried brushing it off, and it still wouldn't come off.

How do you clean up while it's raining?
  2. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

1. Wet sidewalks with wet grass are easier to clean than dry sidewalks with wet grass.

2. Wet grass on wet sidewalks will slide...although slowly...with a blower

3. Wet grass on dry sidewalks will stick and never come off..so blow off what you can and move on.

4. Don't drive with the blades on over hard surfaces or you'll paint the grass on.

5. Don't shut the blades off over a hard surface or your mower will move its bowels and you'll have to clean up major material.

6. Don't drive the mower wheels with wet grass over dry sidewalks or you'll never get it off.

Speaking from experience here.
  3. williams lcm

williams lcm LawnSite Bronze Member

When its raining I don't edge. It just makes a mess. I just mow and string trim when needed. I have a mulch kit so I dont have much debis on sidewalk or driveway. Most of the time when its raining I dont blow because the rain will wash it away. Most people will understand. Just try not to blow grass all over the place with the mower. This will cut down on the mess.
  4. travski

travski LawnSite Member

you need a more powerful blower. I use a Stihl Magnum 600 backpack blower. no more mess.
  5. nightshutter

nightshutter LawnSite Senior Member
    from UT

When its raining I use my backpack blower
  6. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

you don't...i was cutting a yard once and it started raining halfway through the trimming...i got all the mowing done first and trimming in the rain sucked big time...the grass gets super tough....but i finished....don't blow it off....the rain didn't wash it off either....if it rains really hard it might....i told the lady the rain should wash it off and if it doesn't then call me and i'll come blow it off when it was dry again....got a call the next day saying it didn't wash off so i went and blew it off....really the best thing is if you aren't close to finishing and it starts to rain just stop where you are and finish when it stops raining and is dry again...like if you are cutting the front yard and haven't gotten to the back yard yet just finish the front then leave...go back the next day or when it's dry and finish up...the customer will understand.
  7. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

LOL...you guys are jokes...don't blow it off...LOL
  8. dutchacres

dutchacres LawnSite Senior Member

Big backpack blower or pressure washer is your only option. I had a guy one time mow and drive across about 30 driveways in this condo complex we mowed. We run mulch kits so the drive tires pick up all kinds of grass and it was spring and it was wet so needless to say he made a huge mess. The HOA was pissed to say the least and we had to go and pressure wash every drive to keep the account which we ended up losing that fall anyway. I still mow in the rain but just watch what you are doing and get as little on the concrete as possible. Trim so all the grass blows into the grass it makes life a lot easier!!
  9. Turf Tracer

Turf Tracer LawnSite Senior Member

i use the string trimmer to get off grass stuck to pavement.

Works Good
  10. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

I make it clear to the customer in the beginning of the business relationship that I do not edge or string trim if it is raining before or during my visit. Here in SW Florida it is a given that when you compete with the weather the weather will win, further more it is just not worth accident or injury. I have seen far to many other people try to fight mother nature and loose very badly.
    easy-lift guy