How Do You Compare?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by JimLewis, Dec 28, 2006.

Strictly in terms of price, how do you compare to the competition in your area?

Poll closed Jan 3, 2007.
  1. We are the highest or one of the highest priced in our area.

5 vote(s)
  2. We are slightly higher priced than the avg. competitor in our area.

16 vote(s)
  3. We are competitively priced with others in our area

18 vote(s)
  4. We are slightly cheaper than most of our competitors

6 vote(s)
  5. We are definitely one of the cheapest in our area.

0 vote(s)
  1. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

For those of you who do a lot of Design / Build, I have a question for you. How do you compare with your competition in your area strictly in terms of price? That is, if a customer in your area got 5 bids from you and 4 of your local competitors, where are you going to be, usually? See poll/survey above. If more than one answer applies, simply chose the selection that applies to your company MOST often.
  2. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Sorry Jim, I punched in my info with maint in mind not design build. I checked the most expensive category.

Which is a bit misleading too. Our hourly rate is above avg. but not the most expensive but my bids are always higher because I allot more hours because we do more detailed work.
  3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

This should be in Landscaping.
  4. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

My bad. I thought I was posting this in the Landscaping forum. I guess I messed up there. Maybe if a moderator could move this thread.....
  5. Mean Green Lawns

Mean Green Lawns Banned

I'm awake so I'll post on this one too I guess ;)

I typically tend to be closer to the bottem of the bids but I personally don't have to make a TON of money on these projects. (sidewalks, patios, flowerbeds, and planting) I like to bid a job so that I cover my cost plus 200 a day. I give materials out at instore prices pocketing the 10 - 20% contractor discount as well.

My motto is do it right, do it well, and do it fair so that everyone involved walks away happy, or I don't do it at all...

People out there will only pay what they want to and I tend to find that I can still make a profit paying what the customer wants to pay within limits of a fair exchange while I take the business from someone else who yes might make a couple hundred more than me but a huundred here and there doesn't mean crap really.. At least not to me when I piss that away sitting down for a single meal with my girl a few times a week.

BTW lol I know a guy named Jim Lewis here in MI that used to own Jim Lewis Lawn and Snow.. lol He got tired of the headache and sold last year cause he still works full time a Ford. lol CRAZY
  6. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

sorry it took me so long, didn't see this till now. :hammerhead: