How do you compete with retail stores??

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by advancedlawnsolutions, Feb 17, 2007.

1. advancedlawnsolutions

advancedlawnsolutions LawnSite Member

I've slightly explored Landscape lighting but I'm not sure how to compete with retail stores such as Lowes & HD on LV lighting. I kow the solar thing is a joke and easy to persuade customers away from that. But the LV's at Lowe's & HD are much cheaper than what I have expereiced commercially. Any thoughts?

2. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

You don't! If you are a professional landscape lighting designer/installer/service contractor you are not selling lights. You are selling yourself, your company and your service. This means your education, your talent and your commitment to excellence. They can't buy that for any price at the home improvement stores. My clients don't want cheap lighting, they want great lighting and that's what I sell them.

3. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

ditto what paul said. In no way is the stuff from lowes and home depot comparable to what a real lighting contractor is offering.

I seriously doubt the client buying 88 dollar box of solar intermatic glow bombs is remotly interested in my offering.

4. advancedlawnsolutions

Thanks guys, you're right. That's exactly what I want to do. I'm going to look it & study it more.

5. Pro-Scapes

I took it another step... I carry a metal malibu from lowes with me and some plastic ones. I show them the difference in thoes to what im offering. Anyone will be impressed with a Kichler or Cast fixture after holding one of them pieces of crap. Then simply ask them. have you ever regretted spending a bit more on quality ?

If they are still price shopping after that leave em a brochure and be on your way. Even a basic powder coated dabmar bullet out lives the consumer offerings in most big box stores.

6. advancedlawnsolutions

I carry a metal malibu from lowes with me and some plastic ones. I show them the difference in thoes to what im offering.

That's exactly what I thought about doing. -- thanks

7. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

The most important thing you are selling them is professional lighting design, and that is not available from Lowes, Depot or unfortunately, many installers. The key to good lighting is in the design and the use of quality fixtures that will last. You want a fixture that is serviceable one year, two or more down the road. The quality of the major manufacturers like Cast, Kichler, Focus, etc. will typically speak for itself in a well designed lighting plan. A poorly designed lighting scheme will be just that, no matter what fixtures you use.

Kirk

8. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

As usual, Kirk is right on the money!

9. advancedlawnsolutions

Thanks again guys, I've bought the Nate Mullen "Landscape Lighting Resource Manual" its pretty in depth and I hope it & y'all will help guide me in the right direction to get this service off the ground for my company. The market is wide open in my area. And quality is hard to find in many services anymore.

10. Pro-Scapes

hold one thing in mind when reading nates book. He owns unique lighting and it doubles as a marketing piece for his line too. The design techniques in his book apply to all brands of lighting.