How do you control Wild Bamboo???

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Plant Buyer 83, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Plant Buyer 83

Plant Buyer 83 LawnSite Member

Anyone know any good products for controlling wild bamboo that grows anywhere and everywhere?????

Matt

2. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

john deere sells a product that can do the job...

award27752_lg.jpg

3. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Marc

Excellent Choice of Equipment, However a Root Rake Grapple may be a better choice of Attachment. I actually have a chemical answer, However I am not sure plant buyer will like my answer. I will therefore keep that answer for now and see if someone can come with a better answer or the same one.

4. Harley-D

Harley-D LawnSite Senior Member

Sure, i'll try. I'ld guess imazapyr with diuron.

Close? Maybe mix in a little glyphosate with diquat and a little sticker just to be sure.

5. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

cement it ........................

6. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Honda Guy

Yep that was about what I was thinking. However you really took it one step further. Imazapyr is not so bad as a skin contact or even swallowed, but Breathing it's vapor is a totally different story. The LC 50 is 100mg/Kg Hitler would have loved it. The half life can be as long as a year and half and the Ground water is very likely to be contaminated.

7. SOMM

SOMM LawnSite Senior Member

Marc-
    where the hail is your backhoe?
    It sends out to 14 feet average depth of a 5-6 year established stand, and can travel under cemented structures.

Ric-
    It can survive Red Fire Ants.

You don't control it, all, you maintain it - unless you are allowed to do controlled burns in your area.
    (Agent-Orange Gly and Napalm are way illegal.)

8. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

SOMM

Something tells me you are way too young to have been in the Nam. But from Personal experience I can tell you Not even Super Agent Orange or Napalm can control Bamboo. Suppress maybe, Control no way.

9. Cohocarl

Cohocarl LawnSite Member
    from OH

I had some wild bamboo at my old house that I had tried to kill or at least slow down it's spreading, and I tried almost everything known to mankind, but the bamboo kept on thriving. One day I was into a grain elevator/farm supply shop near by and a salesman suggested I get some Tordon, cut down as much of the bamboo as I could, and spray some Tordon on the exposed cuts. It it worked wonders! The bamboo spreads through it's root system, so with the Tordon getting into it's "veins", it did a very good job at not only killing the current crop, but future ones also. I did have a few new sprouts of bamboo come up, but did the same thing by cutting them down, and putting a very little Tordon on the exposed cut.

This was about 10 years ago, so I don't even know if you can still purchase Tordon, but I would thoroughly recommend this stuff for killing bamboo, or anything else for that matter. It is very potent stuff. From what I understand, the railroad and power companies use(d) it to spray vegitation where they don't want it to re-grow for a long time.
    Do not expect grass or anything else to grow for a long time in the area where the tordon is applied...........

10. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Bamboo--cut it down and then start mowing the area. Short.