How do you cut your own lawn?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by EZTarget, May 22, 2004.

1. EZTarget

EZTarget LawnSite Senior Member

Do you spend more or less time on your lawn than you do your customers? Obviously size, etc. impacts that the actual time but I mean in terms of the "care" you put into it.

2. barringtonbrothers

barringtonbrothers LawnSite Senior Member

My lawn is the last one on my list and gets the least attention. I cut my neighbors and theirs look better than mine. Its not so much the mowing but I dont keep up with the landscaping. Some weeks I pay my brother to cut it when we come home on the last day of mowing. After cutting lawns for 8-9 hours a day for some reason I just dont feel like working on mine, which is really ironic, you think mine would look the best.

3. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Same here, I cut two of my neighbors lawns and theirs looks alot better than mine, my lawn is the last one to get done, if and when I feel like it.

4. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

mine is last on the list as well but i give it a little more attention since i have a little more time to deal with it....plus i have a metal sign out front for advertising so i want people to notice the good work and who its by. But otherwise I treat all customers lawn as it were my own.

Jeff

5. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Yeah I'd say a little extra care is taken when Matt mows our lawn. A fresh sharpie is always put on the mower, and he'll trim a little slower. Other than that, that's about it. It's not a big lawn, he bags it all up too. He does it every saturday the last for the week.

6. Rather Be Fishing

Rather Be Fishing LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Closest I've got is my parent's yard. Always last in line but I try to make 'em proud. Alot of my newer clients know me and where I grew up so I think it pays to keep the place looking good. I've been squeezing in a new landscape as time and fatigue permit...

I'll get it done before Fall...I promise Mom...Really...:p

7. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

My wife makes me hack ours down every week or so, thats about all i do with it. I am planning on sodding it next winter.

8. exmarkjockey

exmarkjockey LawnSite Member

How's that saying go, "The cobbler's kids have no shoes." Customer's first, mine last. Actually, I keep threatening to pave the entire yard and spray paint it green just so I don't have to deal with it anymore.:D

9. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

Mine is the last on the list of priorities. I go through spurts. Sometimes I cut it often. Then I'll slack off.

10. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

I put mine on the schedule with all the others and it gets the same treatment. I like a good lawn too.