How do you deal with the heat?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Titans Fan, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Titans Fan

Titans Fan LawnSite Member

Just trying to get some tips on dealing with the unbearable heat and humidity here!

I mowed one yard (took 1 hour) yesterday afternoon (it was the 1st of the day being that we had a bunch of errands to run) and I was soaking wet. I could feel water in my shoes and my jeans were soaking wet as well.

Got up and was mowing before 7:30 a.m. and knocked out four yards and it was extremely hot by 10 a.m.

How do you guys deal with it. Lots of water and breaks here!
  2. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

we started at 5am and cut out at noon, then working saturday to make up lost hours
  3. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

You may have to start mowing at 5:30 am and work tell it gets too hot. Then go back out a few hours in the evenings. Wear bandannas around your head and neck to catch the sweat and alot of baby powder to help absorb the sweat. Yes work at a slower pace and take alot of breaks. If you get goosebumps or stop sweating or feel nauseated or start seeing funny get out of the heat immediatly. Do not wear anti- want to sweat it cools the body. Be carefull heat kills.
  4. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

Water, water and more water!

We worked even when it was 120, no humidity though! Thank god!!

Work slow, drink water or gatorade and take breaks more often. Not much else you can do. Work early as well!
  5. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

Drink lots of water and if its very hot i call it quits by noon... Tomorrow its supposed to be 102 degrees with a heat index of around 110.. I going to the beach :waving:
  6. ealbertson

ealbertson LawnSite Senior Member

It sounds like you are wearing blue jeans. If this is the case I would get some Dickies. They are a lot cooler. I know some will say the cotton keeps the heat out which it may do but it also keeps your bodie's heat in.
  7. mak2

mak2 LawnSite Senior Member

DRINK, water all day and beer all night.
  8. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

Dickies help a lot i get the light tan colored ones.
  9. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Water, water, gatorade, water, water, shade, sunscreen, WATER!!!
  10. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

start early as u can & stop when you feel u are getting drained. Slower pace is good also. I don't stop then start back in the evening. It is not much cooler to me. Get a helper for the hot weeks & get done faster . It will be worth it.