1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How do you define..."NO SOLICITATION".... ?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Exact Rototilling, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

I've actually asked a few customers of mine who have these signs asking them if a door hanger or flyer left [but no door knocking] would be offensive to them? Both of them said they had no issue with door hanger or flyers.

What has been your experience?

I'm personally really annoyed by door knockers myself...dogs go nuts barking & jumping etc. :dizzy:

Attached Files:

2. BCFLawnLandscape

BCFLawnLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

I was told by a policeman that Soliciting is anything where you leave your information. Whether it be flyer, biz card or door hanger. This is still considered soliciting. There are also alot of high end towns and townships that are No Soliciting in the entire town! You need to register with the town's police dept. as a solicitor, (no cost to you) and you can be on your way! Hope this helps!!!
  3. gqnine44

gqnine44 LawnSite Senior Member

Every good salesman knows that those signs dont apply to them.

I'm not going to knock on their door (but I dont advertise this way) but I am not afraid of the sign. Who cares if they get pissed? Let 'em sue you if you feel like knockin'.
  4. RickR1818

RickR1818 LawnSite Senior Member

Actually that cop must be an idiot. Soliciting usually involves door to door or cold calling and actually taking to someone and trying to "sell" them a product. If you leave a door hanger or flier it is technically "Canvassing". You are not actually selling anything. However, in some cities you need a permit to canvass
  5. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

= distributing

distributing fliers to advertise and/or entice business = soliciting. I don't like it, but it's true.

Household definations, depending on the residential homeowners "Mood" vary.
    Some will complain, others will not.

I had one voicemail left on my phone out of 2500 distributed fliers. A complaint about my postcards. And that's about it, a complaint. My postcards still got out regardless of his b@#$ing at me.
  6. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Every Good sales man knows these signs mean " WE DONT KNOW HOW TO SAY NO"

that's the way I was taught what it ment..
  7. S.I.

S.I. LawnSite Senior Member
    from west

You guys sound like the guys that knock on my door at 8:00 on Saturday mornings. The 'No Soliciting' sign means just that.

Solicit by definition per Websters Dictionary: 1.to try to obtain by earnest plea 2. to entreat; petition 3.to lure; entice 4.to solicit something desired, as orders or trade

By leaving fliers, door hangers, or any other form of advertising you are 'trying to obtain' the business of these people. You are attempting to lure or entice them into hiring you to take care of maintenance on their property. You do not have to knock on the door to be considered soliciting. This is actually illegal (in most places) and can lead to some pretty hefty fines.

I'm not sure why you would want to leave an advertisement at a residence where could possibly pi$$ them off. Write down the address of these places when you are out, and mail the ad when you get home. Respect peoples wishes and privacy.
  8. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

I get about one call per 5000 flyers - usually from some old grumpy lady. Just throw the thing away already. Like it really disturbed her. lol
  9. garmel

garmel LawnSite Member
    from NE Ohio

My mother always taught me not to believe everything I read....I tell people that if they say something about their sign, especially in a business but it usually gets a laugh.
  10. JimmyStew

JimmyStew LawnSite Senior Member

Exactly!!! If they tell you up front that they don't want to deal with you, why waste your time. Its like the idiot telemarketers that keep talking when you tell them no. Do they think arguing with me is going to change my mind???