1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How do you Dig a Mono-pour

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by vasman, Feb 15, 2008.

1. vasman

vasman LawnSite Member

I would like to find out how everybody else digs a mono pour? How you set your strings and how you dig it with your mini. Then do you prep the interior first. Then do you pull string line to grade it all. and if there is anything im missing just fill it in please.
    The reason im posting this is I had a guy come in and dig one for a builder that I do work for and It looked like sombody cut it out an lifted it out. I mean it was so clean that they were able to pour the concrete right up to the grass. This guy only does it on the side and is a truck driver during the day.

2. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I've done them, they're not my favorite. I level the whole pad perfectly before I do any digging. Compaction of the sub-base is key, the better it's compacted, the cleaner the dig. We string it out and spray down paint. Just gotta take it easy with the mini walking over the pad area, going straight you're fine if the sub-base is compacted well enough, no turning though.
  3. vasman

vasman LawnSite Member

that is the same way I have beeen doing it. I was told to leave my strings up and dig next to the lines. Thankyou so much for your imput.
  4. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I never seen a mono pour I actually don't know what it is maybe because it isn't something done here.

With any foundation dig is try keep it clean as possible and if you have troubles with access once the hole is dug do that area first.
  5. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

I poured (with a Bobcat) a 100 foot long, 4 foot high wall with a 32" x 8" thick footing using a mono pour, the trick is sealing everything up so the concrete doesn't ooze out everywhere and doing the lower portions of the footings with stiffer concrete so it dries faster and holds back the wetter stuff.

Even the addition on my Ma & Pa's house was all done in one pour, 3 walls, 3 footings and the 4" thick floor for the crawl space, that guy had talent and brains.
  6. ma5tr

ma5tr LawnSite Member
    from toronto

can someone explain what a mono pour is? Sounds interesting
  7. vasman

vasman LawnSite Member

A mono pour is where you prep the site then dig a 12" or 6" trench around your pad for the footings. Then the concrete guy will come and pour the floor and the footings in one pour. it saves the concrete guy from pouring the footings then coming back and pour the stem wall then coming back and pouring the floor. They come in one time.
  8. mhilton

mhilton LawnSite Member

Yeah the way you dig a mono is level the floor grade first then paint out your footing this way if the footing is 1 foot you can gage it off the floor grade but be sure to compact the floor first
  9. Dave Maher

Dave Maher LawnSite Member

I've done a ton of monolithic pours when I was working in Orlando. Once the surveyor set all of the points (corners), we worked off the blueprints and railed (formed) the entire slab.Once all the rails were set and level we brought a mini excavator inside the frame to dig the footers. Then you spray the ground for termites, lay your plastic, set your rebar, call for inspections and start pouring. All of the grading was done by the sitework contractor before we got the ticket to start the slab. Hope this helped
  10. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

It's usually called a slab on grade here.