How do you dispose of grass clippings and leaves

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by CentralOH, Feb 20, 2007.

1. CentralOH

CentralOH LawnSite Member

This may seem like a dumb question to some of you but I'm going to ask anyway. What do you do with grass clippings and leaves from the job site? My first thought on this would be take them to the local landfill. If there are other alternatives, please let me know.

I've run this through spell check so at least I won't get ridiculed for my spelling!

2. bigmudder77

bigmudder77 LawnSite Senior Member

compost pile they make a great compost. or you could burn them. why fill up land fill space with leaves and grass? we use to put them down a big ditch to help slow the water from taking all the dirt from the sides since you cant put tires there any more

3. Ric3077

Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member

City dump or if the customer's home back to woods dump them in a low spot in the woods.

4. cnpearce

cnpearce LawnSite Member

i burn leaves on my property. i do not bag grass clippings. in my area seems like a waste...they are hard to compost in a pile and the dump fees are high. they seem to break down ok in lawns...i think that's where grass clipping belong.

5. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

I bag them and leave them at the customers curb. I will haul them away if the customer requests it.

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I have a brush pile (it is now pretty huge) down in the back open field that I burn every couple of years. we dump trees, bushes, leaves and grass in it, and occasionally other lawn services (friends) will come in and dump, also. I don't really mind, and I'm glad I'm able to help them out. I'll probably take out another permit early this spring and take care of it, so I can start from scratch. Anytime I burn it, it is bout a 2 or 3 day affair. I DO need to do it more often, so I can just do it in one day.

7. dewos

dewos LawnSite Member

Talk so some farmers, if you have some around they seemed to welcome me into their property. To tell you the truth a farmer came up to me and ask me to dump there it worked good for me because it was on the way back home.

8. CoreyD

CoreyD LawnSite Member

yea if you have a place to dump them and burn them do that.... i have a 12 foot trailer that is about 10 feet tall.... and i do alot of leaf jobs around here.... and i live in an apartment... so i dont have a place to dump them and burn them.... so i have to go to the dump with a pitch fork and when im by my self and the trailer is full it'll take me an hour or two :\

9. PORTER 05

PORTER 05 LawnSite Senior Member

we dump it at a facility that makes loam and mulch iwth all the stuff the landscapers dump there...they charge $15 for a pick-up load, and $35 for a 1 ton dually dump...leabes and grass are free to dump there after youve been dumping there for 1 season. with out being able to dump at that location we could not be in buisenss, we trucked in about 120 loads of leaves/grass clippings, brush, stumps and and entire trees cut up....i bring all my wood to my freind, hes has a wood stove

10. bigmudder77

bigmudder77 LawnSite Senior Member

i still say burn it or go to a farmers place and ask him if you can dump and burn them there some day when you are free so you can watch it. (NOT ON A WINDY DAY) cause they will blow all over and if you burn the farmers barn down your in big troble. But more than likly they will let you or charge you couple bucks when we had our farm we let this guy dump all kinds of junk there in a big hole we dug in the ground. we didnt charge him but he always left us a $5 bill per load he dumped and even if we tried to give it back to him he wouldnt take it.