how do you do aeration?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by bigmudder77, Apr 4, 2007.

1. bigmudder77

bigmudder77 LawnSite Senior Member

just wanted to know how to do it and what you need for it

2. zz4guy

zz4guy LawnSite Senior Member

I just did this Monday. My first customer.

He had a standard residential yard. I rented a $35 aerator from a local shop and did it myself. All you do is go up and down the yard with the thing while it pokes holes. It is self propelled.

It took me about 35 min. + drive time and I charged him $100.

3. bigmudder77

bigmudder77 LawnSite Senior Member

dam sounds like a good way to make money what does it do for the yard and how many people want it done

4. zz4guy

zz4guy LawnSite Senior Member

It has a good profit margin, but you are only supposed to do it once a year at most, so it's hard to find customers.

Basically it pierces the top layer of the soil and allows water and fertilizer to get to the grass roots easier. Kind of like giving yourself a shot vs taking a pill lol.

5. Ecoscape01

Ecoscape01 LawnSite Senior Member

From my understanding, and correct me if i'm wrong, but doesn't removing the plugs of soil make the surrounding soil less compact allowing more oxygen in the soil while the plugs decompose back into the ground?

6. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

When it looks like you have a bunch of small dog turds on the lawn...you've aerated. lol

7. WALKER LANDSCAPE

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

Well said sir:clapping:

8. cranium2001

cranium2001 LawnSite Member

Is spring or fall the best time(not just for the dog turd look)? It seems more common her in the western NY region to be done in the fall. I always see the greens at the golf courses done in the fall time too. Just wondering.

9. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

If you rent the machine try to line up several lawns and save on rental fees.

10. Matts lawn care

Matts lawn care LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

Yes it is better done in the fall but if the customer wants it why not?